Removing Oil Stains from Asphalt

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pcs, Apr 3, 2005.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Does anyone know a effective way of removing oil stains from asphalt?

2. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me handle this one guys........ Dawn dish soap. Dont use any thing else. It is biodegradable and safe for the environment. I am a full time firefighter and we have used that stuff every weekend for fifteen years to wash the bay floors of oil drips from the rigs. Put a small amount directly on the oil stain and work it in with a brush and hose it off. It really works, very little effort and you probably have it under your sink.

I am trying to up mys posts with the hope of becoming an LS addict by Christmas.

3. Sharper Edge

Sharper Edge LawnSite Member

20 plus years in the asphalt business.. use dawn it works.

4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

if the asphalt has oil on it and it starts to absorb and gets soft how will dawn soap remove the stain and harden the area?

5. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Thanks. I'll give this a try tomorrow.

6. FERT-TEK

Sorry, I am not a chemist. I just know that it works. You may have some problems if the aggregate beneath is exposed. It might then be more difficult to remove but trust me Dawn dish soap works!

7. FERT-TEK

Please post your findings. Remember you will need to work it in a little but not much. When we wash the bay floors where our vehicles are parked we usually squirt some Dawn directly on the stain and use an old mop on it. That part of the floor is usually cleaner than the rest.

8. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

ditto, dish soap works. I have had good luck with dawn and other brand dish soaps.

9. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Was thinking Dawn also. Good stuff.

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Dawn will work if it is an oilstain , if the asphalt is soft from the oil , it will have to be cut and patched.