1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

removing or cutting shield on echo 261t

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bstroman, Dec 27, 2006.

1. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

ok, echo people bought a 261t last week and I want to remove the shield. Any thoughts or maybe cut it back to get more line out. I have to say echo trimmers are hard to start. This things takes 5 to 8 pulls to get running unlike my husqvarna 323l it will fire on the first pull everytime.. O well
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I moved my guard up the shaft on my redmax about an inch and a half. Get more string out. I dont think the guards work anyways. You going to hear all about warranty.
  3. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

take all of mine off more versatile...but more dangerous:hammerhead:
  4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I was picking up a new 261T today. After the dealer put gas in it, it took 10-12 pulls to get it running. We let it sit about 20mins, took 9 pulls to get it running again. I asked for another unit, as I wasn't about to leave with this one. The next one fired right up. The dealer said to me that the non-adjustable carbs have been an issue.
  5. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I don't know what this shield looks like, but what about drilling a couple of holes closer to the edge and moving the blade out to them> I'm going to try that on my older shield for that same purpose.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to keep the shield on then just grind off the 1.5" lip that holds the cutter blade.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, sorry this isn't about an Echo, but I own a 323L (new spring '06) and it's the hardest starting machine I have! Takes 4 to 8 pulls almost every time! Not to mention it pulls very hard compared to other brands. I love the Husky otherwise. Wonder what's wrong with mine???

As for Echo, I have an Echo edger and BP blower. I couldn't be happier, they both will start on 1 or 2 pulls 95% of the time, both are seeing some years on them now too. And for the guards on ALL my trimmers... OFF THEY GO! I can't stand using a trimmer with a guard on now.
  8. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I have an Echo SRM-261T and mine takes 3-5 pulls every time, I bought the trimmer in april of 06 and now it wont run unless i have the choke half way...:confused:...Does anyone else have this problem???:dizzy:
  9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, I have used echos for years. I went to the new Kawasaki trimmers this year and I would not go back to a echo in the future. The Kawasaki is more powerful, lighter weight, and cheaper to buy.

As for guards, use them for a day or two to get them dirty, then take them off and store someplace out of the way. If your trimmer breaks and is under warranty then go home and put the guard back on and go get it fixed! I remove mine before I ever use the trimmer, I could care less about warranty on a cheap trimmer.

For hard starting echos I found the easiest way to start them is to put it on full choke and hold the throttle wide open and pull till she starts. Once running leave it wide open and then turn off the choke and presto! Should start much easier this way. I always started the echo at full throttle, even hot.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If it is a problem on the high end then take the plastic cap off the adjusting screw on the backside of the carb and adjust it. I don't think there are any spark arrestor in these larger Echo units but might check that. Be sure to check that the carb is tight on the cyclinder. There was one report on line site about a carb problem on a brand new unit so might check with dealer.