1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing pioson ivy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C&S Services, Jun 28, 2004.

1. C&S Services

C&S Services LawnSite Member

I have bid out on this property and it has a large amount of pioson ivy on it. They perfer not use round up if possable. They would like to take the ivy out, cover the area with weed block and then mulch it over. I need to know what to do so not to be covered with the pioson ivy. I'm looking at 150 plus sq feet of ivy. Any help would be great. Thanks.
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

What to do? Walk away...you will never have that area in control with no herbicide use, not to mention all the ivy tar on your skin trying to hand pull it or what not. I walk away from eco-leftist tree huggers..use Tecnu wipes and rinse cream for pre and post contact with any part of the poison ivy plants...
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd agree that its impossible without herbicides.
  4. C&S Services

I was thinking the same I am pushing the use of round up just to get the plants under control. They are concerened with it getting on plants that need to stay. If I was to get mainly the base of the plant would that kill it or do I need to hit the leaves?
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Hit as much of the foliage as you can and avoid overspray. It will translocate through the plant much faster. Expect at least 2-3 treatments, though if using an 18% concentration. Use Pro at 52% for a quick kill.
  6. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

7. C&S Services

Thanks for the info, I'd hate to walk from this because This job alone will have 250 sq ft of rolled sod, repair retaining wall, trimming and pruning surounding area, 10 - 12 yards mulch, removing smaller trees and it is also the brother of a weekly acount. Will running through the ivy patch with a shovel improve kill time? We had lots of pioson ivy on the farm I grew up on and can't remember how we got it under control.
  8. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

on the subject of poison ivy, my friends dad told me about this one old man who had a farm right down the road from his and he found a huge area of poison ivy, and so he didn't know what to do with it except hook up his shredder to his tractor and go to work shredding the field, and well he died of respiratory problems... i dont know if it was due to the poison ivy or what, but still an interesting story.
  9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Sub the job out .Or when you bid the job take into consideration the fact that you wont be able to work for a week due to the welts and blisters.
  10. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

If you do get poison ivy on you and it itches,you are going to laugh but use a hair dryer on till you can't take it any more,itch will be gone for a few hours,not a cure but stops the itch.