1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing Pond

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kobe008, Apr 24, 2007.

1. kobe008

kobe008 LawnSite Member

Hello, just found this site and hope I can get some good advice. Bought our first home little over 2 years ago and in the backyard there is a small pond and waterfall. Have a 2 year old son and 2 month old son and currently we dont use our back yard because of the pond. Its in the open and too much of a hazard for the kids. I'd like to get rid of it and put a play area in its place. The pond has a plastic liner that goes in the ground. Do you recommend I leave the liner in the ground and fill it in or should I take the whole thing out and fill it in? I would have no use for the liner. Are they sellable or would it be junk? Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

:laugh: :laugh: pull the liner out and refill it. When you go to bury your dog there in 5 or 6 years you will br fighting that liner. May as well just pull it out now while its easy to get too. Make since?
  3. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't speak from experience, but I've been told that you can't fill in a swimming pool with dirt and get grass to grow well over it. The soil doesn't breathe right or the rain water gets stagnant or something.

I think you would be better off pulling it.
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Ever think of leaving the pond and installing a fence around it? Remember they wont be 2 forever!!
  5. kobe008

kobe008 LawnSite Member

The backyard isnt big enough or that might be an option.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Less work to leave it and just fill it, but
    more of a chance of having a drainage problem in that area in the future if you leave it in.