1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing Pulley's From A Mower Deck Is A Real Pain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T Edwards, Aug 5, 2005.

1. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

I tried using a pulley puller but after about 2 1/2 hours of screwing with it and deforming the damn thing I took it to a welding shop and they cut it off for me. Removing the spindle with bearing block housing and replacing it was no fun either. Not to mention I was working and not being paid. That really sucked, but it was better than paying the guys at the shop......I guess.
  2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Took my stander in to replace a spindle. in and out in 45 minutes. total cost $154. part 109 Labor 45. well worth it to me.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Another reason to take a look at Scag spindles and pulley design. They can be easily taken apart, however you generally don't need to because they last a long time.
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Buy larger hammer :p

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Exmarks Have Quick Change Spindles Too....... While Running A Friends Crew For Him This Spring We Had A Guy Mow A Pipe...shattering The Spindle Housing Bending The Blade. What A F"""""" Mess Not To Mention The Grand Canyon He Carved In The Lawn While He The Mowed A Few Extra Passes . Had To Drive An Hour Away To Get THe Part , An Hour Back ........and 20 Minutes To Unbolt The Remains Of The Old Housing And Assemble/install The New One Including The Belt And Cover.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just put a wedge up under the pulley, put the nut on the top of the spindle so it is JUST ABOVE the flush heaught, get a piece of wood to put over top, and hit it with a short sledge hammer. The pulleys come right off.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper, remove 1-7/16" nut, pull pulley off by hand.

Helpful hint. Put anti-seize on the shaft and pulley before re-assembly.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

O.K. Here's the secret to those old pressed on pulleys. God knows I've done this before. First dose everything in penetrating fluid. Then loosen the locking screws. Look on sides of pulley, 1 or 2 allen heads. Find just the right size bolt to fit in the blade shaft but not wider than the shaft itself. The pulley needs to move past it as you pull it off. Using a 3 armed puller, Line up the arms of the puller with the spokes of the pulley. The pulley is aligned on top of the special bolt ( save bolt for next time ). Now, using a closed end wrench, put a good load on the puller but not so much that you snap the pulley. Here's the good part. Rap the shaft of the PULLER with a hammer, not to hard. The vibration will trasfer down the shaft, thru the arms, and into the pulley, breaking it free. Keep repeating until loose. When reassembling, polish the inside of the pulley with emery cloth and apply anti-seize compound.
  9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

It only take 30 minutes to replace a stander spindel. Remove the blade. Remove the belt. The split pully comes right off. Just unbolt the two bolts and put them in the other two holes. Which splits the pulley. Then four bolts to hold the spindle on. The spindle drops threw the deck. Simple.