Removing Purple Primer

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Critical Care, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I'm tired of having purple hands, tired of scrubbing hands in gasoline, and tired of trying products that will not touch the primer but will instead remove the top layer of skin.

Anyone have any secrets, like using peanut butter or pickle juice?

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

clear primer

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

clear primer or gloves.

4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I will not use any primer unless the pipe size is over 2". Never had any problems. :D

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't run across clear primer - doesn't mean it's not here though. Inspectors tend to look for the purple primer on all of the slip connections, and I think that not using primer at all is asking for problems, no matter what the size of pipe. Needles to say, I'd be worrying if I have 70 psi static or dynamic pressure in a ¾" lateral pipe stuck together without any primer... especially if I had 15 gpm flowing through it. Yikes.

Nevertheless, my hands are still purple.

6. Crowl-Irrigation

Crowl-Irrigation LawnSite Member

I use a laundry brush in the shower. Comes right off with a good scrubbing.

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I only put primer on the static lines. I find it easier to just use gloves when I'm doing the static line than scrubbing it off in the shower. for the lateral I just use regular glue, no primer. btw, ONLY do this if your using Christie's red hot blue glue, the other stuff won't hold.

8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

You have irrigation inspectors ?

9. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

The only problem I have had is when once I ran out of Oatleys glue and had to buy some cheap thin glue from the local hardware store. I had problems with one of those joints.

10. Crowl-Irrigation

Crowl-Irrigation LawnSite Member

If you do not use primer 7 to 10 years from now your joints will come loose. Back in the 70's when we did not use primer, joints come loose during repairs now.