Removing Redmax exhaust screens?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR0 TURF, Feb 9, 2003.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard from various Redmax users that they remove the exhasut screens? from there blowers, trimmers etc. Do any of you do this....If so...what are the benefits? does it increase the noise level much??

Only Redmax...or all 2-cycle equipment of that nature?

:blob3:

2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking about the spark arrestor?My dealer doesn't seem to think it will harm the unit;just don't do any government contracts with it like this or use them in a wooded area from what he says.

3. svlandscape

svlandscape LawnSite Member

The exhaust screens? Are you sure it is not the spark arresters that you are referring to? I would think it would be kind of dangerous to remove it, especially during the dry summer months!

4. thartz

for me;Ikeep them on;it doesn't take that long to clean them.

5. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Pull em. They are a pain and not needed. My dealer pulls them for me.

6. thartz

Husker1982;If they are not needed then why are they put there? Would you want to start a forest fire because you didn't have one?

7. Husker1982

An exhaust screen??? C'mon you know better than that. Why are they there?? Because of the EPA. Same reason they are trying to ban 2 stokes, and really put a squeze on the manufacturers.

8. thartz

Okay look in your owner's manual and tell me what the screen is for.I live in one of the most woodland areas of the U.S. and believe me the last thing you want to be responsible for a forest fire.maybe where you are you may not need them but wait till July and your in knee high grass that's dry weedeating and you throw a spark then tell me you don't need 'em.Someone felt this was a good idea and it wasn't the EPA.

9. Husker1982

Yea look because it is EPA regulated! But fine if you need it leave it. I don't. Besides if my lawns get to be knee high. I will quit.

10. thartz

okay last post even if you reply I'll give you last word.Be careful during dry season of July and August or during a drought.