1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing Rotor Nozzles - Shall we try?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Critical Care, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I'm fed up with cheap plastic nozzles with cheap little plastic parts!

What is it with this crappola??? The other day I finally resorted to trying some low angle PGP nozzles - the grey ones. Oh wow, they worked like that little naked boy statue standing there taking a leak. What was worse was that the plastic on these guys seemed very soft and whenever I'd try to pull out a nozzle all I'd end up doing was to... was to... (I'll be gentle) totally "foul" up the nozzle.

Different heads, different nozzles, but same problem. R-50s for example, you unsrew the little top nozzle plate and then with a small flathead screwdrive you simply pop out the nozzle. Wrong, wrong, wrong! You don't pop out the nozzle, you extract it. Arrrgh!

Someone tell me how to get rid of my needlenose pliers and other implements of disaster for something, some method that will work.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Once upon a time, a very well-designed rotor head included a cylindrical depression on the flat surface of their nozzles, so you could thread in a machine screw, the same one that retained the nozzle in position, and pull out the nozzle with it. And there was joy in the land, and the repairmen were happy.
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Uhmmmm, can I beat the drum again? ROFLMAO. Those irritrol CR500's (and the k-rain heads at cheapo too) have a slot at the top to insert the "hook" in the adjustment tool to pull the nozzle out. The other solution......remove the retaining screw and turn the water on, if the nozzle doesn't pop out then, give it a downward "Stomp" and the nozzle will propel itself out into the yard.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, and if your gentle, the hunter adjustment wrench usually brings out the PGP ones without a fight. But I carry my wave with me just in case.
  5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

(Taking a Manly Stance) I carry a couple of crochet hooks in my tool box. It gets out rotor nozzles ahd will even help remove those stuck spray head filters.
  6. Wet_Boots

I have/had a couple of dental picks for similar use.
  7. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

O'ring removal tools are like dental tools, I spose but I use one all the time for slipping out nozzles.

One end is curved and dull and one is very sharp. Take your pick. Work well for me.

8. Luke in Nebraska

Luke in Nebraska LawnSite Member

The most simple rotor nozzle to change is Toro's S700, also color coded which is nice.
  9. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I agree the Toro S700 are a breeze to change. I used them for a couple of years but just had too much trouble with Toro stuff so in my attempts to cut down on inventory and call backs, I have not used Toro heads in a while. The 800's were nothing but trouble and call backs so took them off my "will use" list.

10. Wet_Boots

In an area with old Toro installations, it would pay to have some Super700's in the service inventory (even some Super600's) - kind of a nuisance that one head can't do both part and full circles, but heads the same height as what you replace are very useful. Besides the easy removal, the Super700 nozzles could be had in 15° low-angle and 5° flat versions, and allow for some placements you couldn't achieve with a Hunter head.