Removing Seized Idler Pulley

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by turfinator, Apr 12, 2005.

1. turfinator

turfinator LawnSite Member

Ive been trying for 2 days to remove a stuck idler pulley from a 3/4 shaft on an old horizontal cast Kohler. Unfortunately I cant get my gear puller behind it so i doused it in liquid wrench and stuck an open end wrench on top of the shaft behind the pulley and attached the gear puller to that. So far I have bent two wrenches and havent budged the pulley. Im wondering about heating the pulley but all I have is a propane torch and Im not sure if it will heat it fast enough. Any ideas...this thing is driving me crazy!

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

First, make double-sure that there IS NOT a set screw involved. Usually they have an allen screw as the set screw. Look down into the middle of the V. Look all the way around. If that doesn't work, try a slide hammer. Lastly, a slide hammer and heat. If all else fails, go to a machine shop and have them reverse-press it off. Use a rust-buster all the time you are playing with it.

3. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Or your can use a dye grinder and cut it off..

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If all else fails you can aways "blast" :D
    I know the mess you are in, been there done that. Like was said,check for a set screw. If you use a torch to heat the pulley you will need to replace the shaft oil seal after you get the pulley off. The heat can damage the oil seal and then if you do not replace it you will find your self back where you are with an oil leak. I have had to cut more than one pulley off before just try not to cut into the shaft if you have to cut. Remember to use anti-seize compound when putting the pulley back on. Good luck.

5. turfinator

There was an allen screw which I removed right at the beginning. The pulley is going onto the replacement motor and this Kohler is going to be collecting dust until I need it for parts so not too concerned about damaging the shaft or oil leaks. I dont know if a slide hammer would work as there isnt enough clearance for my gear puller to even get behind it. I know I can probably go out and get a replacement for 20 or 30 bucks but this is getting personal now.

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

see if you can make it move in the opposite direction just a little bit, sometimes that helps

7. turfinator

Thanks for the suggestions. I got it off with lots of heat, liquid wrench and the gear puller. :drinkup: