Removing Shaft from impeller

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kemmer, Nov 29, 2005.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

Im trying to take the shaft of the impeller of my leaf vac to modify it. I take the bolt off and i get half the motor of and it gets stuck, i just cant get it off, is there something holding it on? Its a Briggs motor on a giant vac....any ideas? ive tried prying, but it doesnt work much

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. kemmer

ya ive already been there, do i have to remove the impeller key? if so how do i do that and where is it located

Thank

4. Restrorob

Well, The key is in the crankshaft. Some fans have threads in the hole once the mount screw is removed for a larger jack bolt can be installed to push it off. If yours doesn't I don't really have any answers because I'm not familiar with this unit. The only thing I can say is spray the piss out of it with penetrating oil and keep working it back and forth until it comes off.

What is it you want to modify on this thing ? You do know these fans have to be balanced don't you ?

5. kemmer

Its this, and im modifying it into a temporary leaf vac, i want to take the motor off so i can mount modify the fame better and so i dont have to lug the thing around.
    [​IMG]

and yes i removed the plate holding the motor to the housing, this is an older pic

IMG_34172.jpg

6. Restrorob

Oh ......Gotch ya now, I was under in impression you wanted to modify the fan lol Anyway good luck getting the fan off.

7. kemmer

why do you say that? got any tricks, the fan itself cant come out because its bigger than the opening, but i wasnt planning on doing that, i just want to take the motor off. Any help? lol it would be appreciated

8. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Unless this is a fairly new unit, it's almost impossible to remove the impeller (no way to impart motion to separate the impeller from the shaft), which by now has rusted itself very well to the motor shaft. By the time you bang it out, the motor shaft usually becomes bent.
    Hope this save you some time,
    It's too bad they don't weld some tabs on the impeller to facilitate the use of a heavy duty gear puller.

9. kemmer

how would i remove the impeller key and what does it look like, i really wanna get this engine off

Is this the impeller key? do i have to turn the impeller off? how does it work? theres gotta be a way

IMG_34322.jpg

10. kemmer

ok nevermind guys, i got it off