removing shield from trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slingshot, May 20, 2000.

1. slingshot

slingshot LawnSite Member
    from pa

anybody take the shield off your trimmersi know it kills your legs but it is the first thing i do when i buy a new one

2. Alan

Alan Member

Why, knowing the hazards, do you do it? And just what do you gain by having the shield missing?

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I would think that removing the guards from any pice of equ. would be a big INS issue, especially if hired help were involved,due to injury.I know I wouldn't want to try to explain to workers comp or osha why a guard was missing from a trimmer.

4. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Its not very safe but every bone does it it makes for a bigger trimming radius becuase the sheild has a cut off blade that will limit your line lenght. if you still want the shield and a long line try taking out the blade maybe that will work too.

5. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

We have some guards off and some in place, just for personal preferance.Try it before you knock it. I do not find any leg injuries occuring. It gives a bigger swath, more visibility, and more trimability(all the way around objects without moving.)

6. Hello Everybody:<p>Removing the guards is dangerous, but it will almost double productivity when operating a trimmer. <p>If your crew edges with a trimmer, nothing can come close to that quality of edging. My crew knew that if they did not have proper eye protection that they could refuse to do the job & I would never say a word. But I always had excellent eye protection. They always had the best in safety equipment!<p>There is plenty of ways to stay safe & if you have good insurance there is no problem. My men came first, then the work.<p>How can you stay safe spraying, but you pay people to spray dangerous chemicals? You pay them to drive a overloaded trailer with no brakes on trailer? You put them on a ladder or roof with no safety belt. OSHA makes the rules, changes the rules & most of all breaks the rules!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

7. Grassroots

Grassroots LawnSite Member

We too take the shields off the trimmers. It increases radius and manuevering. I can not work with the sheild on. I wear eye protection and I never get anything on my legs more than just annoying. It also lets us do light edging.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

8. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

My Shin. T27 came with an all metal guard that doesn't have a cutter because it's an auto head. If I'm not mistaken the line clears the bottom edge even if it's out beyond the guard. <br>I know of a company just transporting a chainsaw with broken chain brake handle and being fined $500 by OSHA. I realize that this not the same thing but it's something everyone might want to check into.

9. MRPLOW

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

I too like the shield off, but if its real hot out and you wanna wear shorts your legs will not only take a beating they will be so covered with grass you wont be able to see any skin and oyur also way more prone to getting poison ivy this way. I found a way to modify my sthil trimmer so the shield is like an extra 2 inches longer it really helps a lot.

10. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

I also take shields off but I replace them with the shield that comes with saw blade kit , it does not have line cut off blade but offers a little more protection then no guard