Removing Shrubs for sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by EasylyConfused, May 16, 2005.

1. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused LawnSite Member

I have been asked to remove a 2 foot hedge that is approgamitly 100 feet in length and to plant sod in it's place. How would I go about removeing the shrubs? They are at least 15 years old, with extensive root systems. They are 2 feet away from a curb. The 2 foot gap is filled with a 9 inch layer of riverstone, which also needs to be removed. Is a skid steer my only option? I initially wanted to do it by hand but am wondering if it is possible. Can the Roots be pulled out with a vehicle? I wish I knew the name of the hedge. It is extremly common in Winnipeg. It is covered with hundreds of little yellow flowers, and has small pointy leaves. The flowers are about 1 inch in diameter with approxxamitly 5 petals. They don't bloom till late june.

How far down do I need to remove the roots? Will the plants regrow if I don't completly remove them?

2. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

You'll need to remove the main root ball at least. Not sure what type of shrub it is, but usually once the root ball is toast no new shoots will grow from what's left. Unless it's a weed of course. :) You could probably do it all by hand depending on the size of the rocks. Smaller stones are a royal pain in the but to try and dig out, especiall if there was no weed barrier. A 100' foot hedge row is pretty big to do by hand, but I would probably do it that way as well.

Cut the shrubs down far enough to give you access to the roots but try to leave enough to grab in case yuou have to rock 'em out of the ground. Good luck!

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Sounds like they might be Pottentilla ... I'd try just about anything before digging by hand but if that's your only option prune them down for easy access. If they are Pottentilla's they don't have much to wrap a chain around and yank out.

4. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

i would try hooking a chain up to them and try pulling them out first or even try a winch

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well some shrubs WILL grow back by the roots.Remove the rock however is easyest.Then I would take a sharp streight trenching or border shovel and a tree saw.Go round the shrubs cutting as many roots as you can with the shovel and the saw.Then wrap chain good and tight down low one at a time hook it to your truck and PUNCH IT!! :cool2:

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I'd yank them out with the truck, after cutting a few choice roots....then I'd bust out the big tiller and till the area to chop roots and level the ground for the sod at the same time. The hunks of roots you can then toss away.

7. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what you should do. Stay a way from using a chain it will not tighten up .

Get a rope with a large S hook on one end wrap the rope around the bush hook it too the other end of the rope that is tied to the mower, back up slowly allowing the rope to tighten around the bush. It works well i have done this on some different hedge material they pull out well.The reason from staying away from a chain , is it will not tighten up like a nuice will.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

uh... chain wasn't "stretchy" last time i used it. I don't put safety bungee cords or ropes on my trailer either.

Use a chain with a pinch hook cinched down as tight as you can get it and yank on it with a truck. leave 6-12" of trunk above the crown so you have something to hang onto.

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

gotta tell you.. It bugs me when guys make posts and don't say anything ever again ...if it is pottentilla there is no real stump per say. So what is it EasylyConfused are they pottentilla's?

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

He don't know he's too EasylyConfused