1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing Stumps with a Skidsteer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Candersen10, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Candersen10

Candersen10 LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I have a John Deere CT332 with a grappel, bucket, 6-way blade, and a set of forks. I have been using this machine primarily to knock down smaller trees and move trees around. I have several larger stumps on my farm however and need to remove them. What attachment would be best suited for this purpose? The forks I have are cat forks and are no where near strong enough to be used to dig around stumps. I've heard that John Deere makes a strong fork set specifically for stumps but I can't find anything about them online. Any advice? Is it wise to even use forks for such a job?
  2. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

How big is "larger"?

I have a stump grinder attachment (articulated - high end - bobcat brand) it works pretty well on stumps to 30" dia, and might be worth renting (if you don't have rocks in roots) The bigger the stump, the further the roots spread, and they can be really tough to dig out with a conventional loader machine.

an excavator makes quick work of most stumps, but I had to bring in a D8 with a stump splitter for a job that had 8' dia stumps imbedded in basketball sized rocks.

You might be able to tug the roots up with your forks and cut with a saw, but if the trees have tap root in the center, you have a problem.

I feel one of those 'grubbing' buckets (like a forward facing backhoe bucket attachment) would work well digging around roots. But solid ground access will get pretty tough in short order, that's where the excav shines. You might consider renting one for a weekend.
  3. Candersen10

By larger I mean stumps with a diameter no bigger than 3 feet. I'm debating whether it is worth it to purchase a grappel like this one (http://www.rootgrapple.com/stumpgrapple.html). Has anyone had luck with this sort of attachment?
  4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

JanB has the process down. It is how we approach it. Skids in combo with an excavator or just an excavator type machine is the cats-meow for that sized stump.
  5. Candersen10

I've used excavators before and they have been great, however, I generally have 1 or 2 stumps that need to be taken out, enough to warrant a 1100 dollar attachment, but not enough at any one time to warrant renting, let alone purchasing an excavator. Does anyone think this attachment would work? http://www.rootgrapple.com/stumpgrapple.html
  6. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like others have said a track hoe is best but if that is all you have dig around the machine, start pushing, and keep digging until you get enough roots freed up that you can move it. They make a (stumb bucket) if I remember correctly the name that will fit on a skid. It's simular to a bucket for a small track-hoe in design that does not tear up a big area around the stump.
  7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

It is realy not a problem with a skid the size of yours.
    It takes patience.

I use my tooth bucket.
    A stump bucket looks good in theory but sometimes with these big stumps you have too break alot of roots before they will move.

Just start digging straight into the stump as if you were trying too make a hole.
    Just dig down a few feet then do the same on each side.
    Then push on the stump at different directions till you see which side is the weakest.

After the big roots on the sides are gone the tap root is pretty easy too break.
    If it is near a fixed structure just hire someone too grind it.

I will add that you will need alot of curl power too break the roots without beating up your machine.

They make a stump bucket that is fairly inexpensive without the grapple.
  8. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

The way that AWJ described is exactly like I go about it. Being patient is very important for not tearing up your machine.

That stump grapple is pretty cool. I'm sure it would come in handy even if you couldn't use it on everything.

By the way, I have the HD Worksite Pro forks that Deere sells. They are very stout and I'd highly recommend them.
  9. Candersen10

Have you been able to bend those forks with the CT332? I'm wondering how long they will last as stump removers.
  10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

No, but I haven't used them on stumps. They will give some, but are not permanently bent. I used them last week on a 10" poured patio with mesh that I ripped out, well tried to anyway. I made a deep cut with a saw, but it broke on a crack. I pulled out the main part, but used a hyd. breaker to finish the rest. Here's a pic of the slab that I used the forks on after I unloaded it from my trailer. This dude was heavy! You can't tell in the pic, but that slab was about 9' wide. After I curled the forks and the slab slid to the backstop, the back end of the machine went down and I was ready to roll.:cool2:

I'm sure you know this but just in case, if you use your forks to pry, be careful. They will usually break where they slide on the mount before the will bend, unless you are really prying on the tips.

Heavy Equipment.jpg