removing the safety switch (under the seat)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by americanlawn, Jun 22, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I know guys (LCO's) that remove the safety/shut-off switch so they can hop off the mower & pick up trash in front of them so they don't have to re-engage the mower deck. Wondering what you guys think of this? Can of worms for a LCO? Okay for an individual? Thanks!

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Why......,seems stupid.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yup it's a PITA..... I know of NO ONE who does this....

it may be a pain, but so is loosing a foot

4. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I'll live with the inconvienence..... I'm not perfect so I want the machine to save me when I have a stupid moment. :)

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ok. I'll be the stpid one, here. I disconnected mine a long time ago. the reason being, is that at times, It would start missing and such after going over rouher ground (fuel injected). All it is, is a matter of unplugging the wire from the switch on the seat, and making a jumper wire from side of the plug prong to the other. I made my own with two prong connectors and a piece of wire. The original reason I made this jumper wire was so I could do diagnostics and run it (and start it) without being on the machine.

6. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

mine is disconnected b/c the engine was missing out when driving on really rough ground. However, I do not allow anyone off the mower with the deck running.

It is not worth the risk

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

For the dummies that take it off for convenience, just go out & buy one of those grabber arms so you don't have to get off the mower. You can't mow w/o legs or arms.

8. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

keep it connected!! Worse case scenerio, you roll the mower... I know its an inconvience but its there for a reason.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

You guys RULE! Thanks! (more responses are wanted, cuz it's a common deal). Used to mow my home lawn (2 acres) with a belly mower (JD 445), and I unhooked the safety switch. But now I use a zero-turn (JD 727-A) -- safety switch intact. We currently use our 445's for spreading & aeration only, so safety switches are not needed so much.

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

talk about negligence to the tenth power.. i wouldn't even want to know what happens if someone got hurt....