Removing Vines - H-E-L-P !!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Threeponys, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Threeponys

Threeponys LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Desperately need some good solid advice on this.

Stopped at a business today to inquire bidding on the lawn maintenance. They are open to proposal but wanted it to include the removal of weeds on the fence. Those "weeds" are blackberry vines! Not talking a small area either. They are ALL over.

Question: What is the best and most feasible method of removing vines like this. While burning them might be suggest, it's not an option. Also, never done this before so how would you price it out? Difficulty? Time? Per sq. foot? Flat rate?

Bid has to be to the manager by Monday so any solid advice will be appreciated.

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I would probably suggest that you spray them down with round up. After that, you should be able to mow right over them with a good walk behind brush hog. Do they want it seeded too? If the area is really big you could consider using a big machine for working the soil / pulling the roots.

3. Threeponys

Threeponys LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I forgot to mention that these vines are growing on fence about 8 ft tall. :eek:

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

By the day.

5. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Did a project like this over the winter except it was 2 wooded acres on a commercial prop. It was full of blackberry, greenbriar and poison ivy. I hired some day laborers and charged hourly. We used weed eaters and hand pruners. If you have a commercial chipper that would be good. I wouldn't even think of spraying those things, they'll just wipe their mouth and ask for more.

6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

A big chipper would be useless, they don't like vines much.

7. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

Get your hedge shears out and shear them off. Pick the bits out of the fence. Maybe the brushcutter attachment on your weedeater. Roundup will only know the leaves off if you're lucky, it won't kill them first time.

8. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Here in the NW, the blackberry is on the noxious weed list so we encounter them often. A brushcutter blade on your trimmer will knock them down and you can get to the ones on the fence with cutters.

Once they are down to the ground, you have to take care of the roots. I use only organic products and have found you can kill blackberries (and anything else) by applying agricultural grade vinegar (20% acidity) at the roots. Do this when it's dry and warm for best results. It reduces the pH to around 3.0 where plants cannot take survive. It takes time (up to 6 months) for the roots to exhaust their reserves at which time you can add lime to "sweeten" the soil. (Additional compost should also be added.)FYI, soil biota is not harmed during this time, only dormant until conditions get better.