removing weed vines on chain link...yes a weird question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Nov 7, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

now this is a weird question here that I'll just bet one of you has an answer for...started work on a nightmare property to clean up for a real estate sale...my customer owns many properties and this one he is selling...he pays me very well...most of the work is no problem...except...there is 150 ft of chain link that weedy vines have grown into here and there....its not "covered" with them but enough to make it a real hassle to get them off...they need to come off else the clean up will not look thorough...well Ive tried snipping the vinces and yankinghere and there but that didnt work...I could spend a boatload of hours getting this crap off one little piece at a time but was hoping one of you had a suggestion....the leaves are brown now but the vines will be unsightly...thanks much

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me Gary, like you gonna have to pull 'em by hand.

Either that or get a flamethrower:blob2:

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

ya know Rod I had a feeling that was what I was going to hear...poop!...oh well there are good days and bad..

4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I clear a 40 foot chainlink fence once each year of vines. Glove up and start pulling. Just throw them on the ground and go at it with both hands working. You can thin it a bit with a string trimmer running slow to whip at it, but the pulling and snipping works best. I can do this fence (covered) in about 45 min-1 hour and am getting $45 for it. It is actually really easy work with no gas expense or wear on equipment.....just watch for poison ivy/oak.

jeffyr

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

FIRE, errr errr FFFFIIIIIIIIRRRREEEEEE, yeah FIRE, uhhhhh uh uh uh he said, FIRE

6. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I would roast some marshmellows, using the fire idea:blob2:

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

it all depends on what kind of vines they are if there milk weed type that are juicy just use your weed trimmer . but if there woody type vines then yes your gunna need to use the old gloves and pull them :(

8. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

Had this same problem w/ morning glory vines. I bought two rake heads (no handles) and give it the Freddy Kruger treatment. Works great!

-Dave

9. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Paint the stems the same color as the chain link...:D

10. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

If you have the time cut the vines off at ground level.
    give them at least three days to get brittle before you pull off by hand. I've cleaned a lot of fence rows this way. Spend a couple of days precut-ting then go back to where I started and every thing pulls apart much easier.

OR FIRE:D