1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing wheel on fixed deck ExMark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NEWINNJ, Nov 6, 2005.

NEWINNJ LawnSite Member

I have a 36" ExMark Fixed Deck with a flat tire that I can't seem to fix with it on the mower. I nned to remove the wheel but am not sure what to do next. I removed to E clip and tried to slide wheel off but it seems to be attacted to the drive pulley and I can't figure out how to disconnect it. Thanks in Advance.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The pulley and wheel is a assembly, Sounds like you need to remove the belt and slide the whole assembly off.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

There is probably a gaurd around the belt that you have to unbolt, then take off the belt and the wheel will slide right off.
  4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

ALSO - there's a guide/scraper that is bolted to the frame and scrapes the mud out of the grooves in the wheel drive pulley. You'll need to loosen this scraper/guide so that you can slide the wheel off the axle. This scraper is usually located at the lower rear of the unit.
  5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Dont forget the little "scraper" that Jason is talking about. The e-clip, the belt and the little scraper. Once off, you should be able to separate the wheel assembly, but not always necessary, to change/fix the tire. Let us know how you make out.
  6. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Take a brick and tilt the deck up and put it under the right or left corner of the deck so it holds the wheel up. You are going to need a knife to remove the clip on the outer most part of the hub. once u do that. thereis a little screw with 2 prongs that keep the weel strait. undo the bolt from the inside under the motor and the wheel shoudl come right off. make sure you have the hadle on BREAK because u wont beable to get the belt off the axle.

good luck.
  7. Brick One Lawns

Brick One Lawns LawnSite Member

What the hell... i've gotten the left side off but the right side just will NOT come off.... i've beaten, banged, poked, pulled, and prodded... are there any other suggestions? I've even got the tire off the rim. it moves ever so slightly but just will not come off... will heating it help at all? I can't really get a square hit on it to push it off evenly. I just picked this mower up the other day, it wasn't taken care of at all aside from oil changes and spark plugs... please help...
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like there is rust on the axle inside the wheel holding the inner bearing race from sliding off. Try removing the grease fitting and shoot it up with some Fluid Film or the like and let it sit over night and try again, I don't believe heat would do anything in this situation.
  9. Brick One Lawns

Brick One Lawns LawnSite Member

i'll give it a shot, thanks! I didn't see why heat would work either...
  10. libby_arts

libby_arts LawnSite Member

A while back, I looked up the number on-line for Exmark customer service at their web site. The lady there was very helpful. She even laughed when I explained my exmark was old enough to vote. It is a veri-speed and the only numbers I can find on the tag are- 36 12.5 19206. However, she was kind enough to e-mail me the Owners and Parts Manuals. Just wanted to pass this info alone to you. Free manuals helped me a lot.