1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Renewal letters

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by captaingreen, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Expert nice letter. Very professional.

2. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

thanks guys...............(damn 15 character minimum)

3. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

I see very small letters. It's ok though

4. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i personally don't like the free mowing thing. very little success with it.

this is your opportunity to change a 1300 mow only customer to a 2500 mow with extra services customer.

include salutations (hope you had nice holiday, spring is almost here, etc.)

something about 'if you do not want us to work for you this year please call at... we have too many customers to recieve calls from all returning customers. plus, what if one forgets to call? well the follow up call from you would take care of that, but that's a good deal of work.

finally, this is the big one... a list of you services, presented in a simple and professional format. i'm not going to give away mine, it's a secret, but it works.

i have already added several items into the regular schedule for a number of clients this year. (I sent the letters out last week). a 4600$ customer is now a $5600 one right off the top of my head.

building the quality of your customer base is the best way to build your business in my opinion.

5. Expert Lawns

I greatly disagree with that post charlies

"something about 'if you do not want us to work for you this year please call at... we have too many customers to recieve calls from all returning customers."

The words "do not" are negative words. negative wording shouldn't be used. i like using the active voice and using positive wording.

I have a "service guide" that i include with all my letters that lays everything out for them. it was simple to make and works great.

6. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Expert Lawns, What all does your service guide intail?

7. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

point well taken. i was just coming up w/ something on the fly. maybe 'if you would like to change your service this year', or something. just a little verification that they want you to mow or mulch again.

so would you say your service guide is in any way similar to a list of your services?

8. Expert Lawns

yea guys, the Service Guide lays out each and every service we offer. It tells how often each service is done and gives any other pertinent information about that service. Many people don't know what thatch is and how it affects their lawn. Pretty much it is to educate them. (also a good selling point abviously) They read up on each service and a lot of the time I get a call saying, "I didn't know that aerating was that important" or "I've never had my lawn dethatched, sign me up"