renewals without contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oneandonlyjojo, Oct 20, 2004.

1. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

so how do u go about bringing your customers back when u dont have contracts?

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

call them up and tell them that you'd like to have them back for next year, pretty simple.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Send them a new one to sign a few months before the old one expires.......

4. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Move to Florida, you don't have to worry about that down here. All my accounts are year around and I don't do contracts, all residentials. Will go contract if any commercial come my way though.

If you do quality work. The customer will most likely be looking for you next year I would think.

5. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

yea was planning on just leaving them a letter in there box with pre paid envelope. saying prices for next year and if they are interested in using us again to send it in immediatly and was thinking maybe a 10% off spring cleanup for next year or sumtin like that

6. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

We just call them about the end of Febuary to let them know that time of year is about to start up and would they like us to continue service this year, and would they like a spring clean-up.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

No way I'd ever wait that long. My letters for non contract customers for next years committment will go out in about 3 weeks and for the really good ones they be offered a "signing" bonus.

8. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

All our accounts are ongoing till they call or e-mail to cancel, even though our scheduled season ends 11/12. We keep one truck running in the winter for a few leafs, mows, pruning, etc.. As of 2/15/05 the 2005 account information & calendars are mailed that detail all the mow dates for 2005 (season starts 2nd week of March). If the customer wants to quit or alter the schedule, they must call. We usually have 3-4 accounts every March that call and say "We never ordered this mowing", we have discovered that some people never read their mail!!!!!

The less a customer has to do on their own, the better! Most of our accounts would not call till the grass was tall in late April, if they had to sign a new contract or call us!

Our method preys on the laziness of the average customer, all they have to do is nothing!!!! We tell them when we will mow & then charge the card after each trip, no calls, signing, or interaction......works great! :)

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If that works for you, cool. I do that as well, but I tell them when the mowing will be resuming (rather than ASKING them if they want to continue). The power company doesn't call me each year to double check if I still want electricity.

I've always felt if you force people to sign renewals and such, it plants the seed in their mind that they have the option to get out. And in essence, you're starting over each year with zero customers (technically) and building up again.

In addition to calling them in late-Winter, I enclose a letter with their final bill stating that service continues in the Spring unless notified.

10. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

Very true!!! Why call and ask what the customer wants to do? This puts the LCO in a weak position, as if you are calling to beg for their business, and most likely the customer will want you to start as late as they can get by with! We always tell our customers what the schedule & policies are, and then if they have any questions, problems, or changes they can call us (this puts the LCO in a strong position).

For some reason, the lawn industry has a very poor reputation in terms of how customers perceive LCO's. Most people assume that you are a desperate high school drop out that is dying for their last $5.00. In reality I make much more annually than 85% of the people I talk to everyday.

Our message is: Act how you want to be treated. Set the company policies, schedules, etc. Be reliable, punctual, return calls, answer the phone, do not run from problems. Be professional & courteous but do not let customers walk you around on a leash, that just perpetuates the image that we are running from! :waving: