Renovate or Repair?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by snmhanson, Feb 12, 2008.

1. snmhanson

snmhanson LawnSite Member

I live in the Pacific Northwest and up until this late fall and winter had a nice lawn. Sure, it had it's share of small bumps and ruts and a weed here and there but it was green and overall pleasant. Last fall I noticed that it just wasn't very healthly looking and was also getting a nasty case of red thread. Then winter hit and we had quite a bit of rain and the snow that has covered it for the last 1 1/2 months is finally melting off. During that time there seems to have been quite a bit of heaving, at least close in to our house and for some reason the dips, ruts and mounds seemed to have grown both in size. Add to that the addition we are doing on our house and the associated damage from the workers and equipment around that area and our lawn is going to be pretty rough shape this spring.

I could try to deal with the disease, fertilize to attempt to get the lushness back, fill and roll to level it out, restructure the ground around the addition, deal with the weeds and re-seed as necessary or I could kill and/or rip up the existing lawn up and start over. What do you guys recommend? Oh, we have a little over an acre of lawn of which at least 1/2 would probably need to be redone if I take that route but I do have a Kubota B7800 with box blade, rake, bucket, etc... to help make the job a little easier. Any ideas? Would a picture help?

Thanks for any advice.

2. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

do you have a lawn sprinkler?
  3. snmhanson

snmhanson LawnSite Member

Yes, I installed an extensive underground system when we planted the lawn. Some of the ruts and dips are located over the sprinkler lines, which I expected to a degree. They are not terrible but are noticeable when I mow over them. I can possibly revive the lawn with fertilizer, fungicide, irrigation, etc... but I am wondering at what point it is easier to just kill it all and re-seed. I figure if I take that route I can also work out some of the unlevelness of the yard as well. The sad thing though is that the yard is only ~4 years old and even as recently as late last summer it was very lush and looked great. It just seemd that the winter this year really worked it over. I know that this comes down to a decision that I need to make myself but I was just hoping to get some input from others who have faced this dilema.

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Post a picture so we can see what your talking about.
  5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I went back and looked at one of your previous posts on the Red Thread, however from the pictures that you supplied it is pretty tough to see if that is really what fungus is in your lawn. It could be Pink and/or Grey Snow Mold, which I must add is very common for this area, and for this time of year. Without doubt, when the snow melts, I'll have patches of it in my own lawn. Also, you don't sound like the type of person who would not offer their lawn enough nitrogen so that it would develop problems such as Red Thread.

Ruts are a different problem, of course. Unless if the soil was well tamped down, it's not uncommon to see settling over recently installed irrigation pipes. You may be able to fill in some without having to dig up the lawn. It all depends on how bad it is, and for me it would have to be pretty bad before going as far as to rip up the lawn.