Renovate yard

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Chitown King, May 7, 2008.

1. Chitown King

Chitown King LawnSite Member

I have a yard to bid in need of extreme renovation. Front yard is 55' by 35' and back yard is 85' by 95'. There does not appear to be any grass in this yard anywhere, but there is a boatload of weeds. Yard is probably 70% covered in weeds and reasonably sized weeds too. New owner would like to be fixed ASAP.

How would you tear this yard up and start over? 3 man crew, how long do you think it would take?

2. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go through and kill all the weeds first.
    lay down 3-6" of compost, rototill it
    run a roller across it, and then seed.

3-4 days maybe, hard to say without seeing the site. definitely would get a Bobcat or tractor for that job though.

3. ProCutLawnCare10

ProCutLawnCare10 LawnSite Member

Just rent a bobcat with a soil conditioner and go over the whole lawn, then bring in a good ammount of topsoil and spread that across. After that go over it with the soil conditioner again and hydroseed it. should only take 2-3 days tops.

4. Chitown King

Does the soil conditioner dig deep enough to clear out the weeds? I would hate to have them all come back in a couple weeks.

5. ProCutLawnCare10

Yea.. it does a great job because it tills and rakes at the soil at the same time! That way it helps you cut cost from having to haul all the sod out. Take a look at bobcat.com and it has videos of the conditioner..

6. Chitown King

I cannot find a soil conditioner around here but I can find a Harley Rake. Is that going to do the job as well?

7. ProCutLawnCare10

Yea, that should work prettty well, that is what we use when we can't get the conditioner. to be safe just spray all of the weeds a few days ahead of time and then hit it with the harley rake until its tilled up. Then get your soil down and harley rak all that and seed it and your done. If you have pictures of the site i could give you a better opinion on what to do..

8. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

cut the weeds w/ a mower or trimmer before you spray...less clean-up after using the harley rake