renovating a lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Mar 30, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

I have a customer that yard is about 60% weeds, i'm going to spray roundup, tiller, add some topsoil, seed, fertilize and put down straw. I live in md and wanted to know is turf type tall fescue the best type of seed to use this type of year? and from what i said i'm going to be doing above, am i missing anything? any suggestion apricated.
  2. What about a soil test, you could add what is needed at this time also.

There is also a soil amentment you could also add at this time while "tilling" that would act like a sponge and hold moisture in the lawn much better then soil. Not quite sure the name, but it looks like kitty litter.

Tall type fescue should do well in your area.
  3. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I think you are thinking of Turface. Great stuff. It is ceramic granules that help loosen soil and add airspace -- but the particles do not break down and last forever.

They also have a new product called seed-aid that is new type of mulch just for grass seeding -- but outperforms PennMulch or straw or any other standbys. At least that what the website says. I might try it this year if my distributor will start carrying.
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Where can I find this stuff and how much does it cost. Sounds like what I am needing for the hard ground I have in my area.
  5. Hamons

Posts: 706 Type in Turface -- goto Manfucturers website --- --- find distributor. Takes less time than it does to to type this message.

I get mine either at Lesco or at a Local Nursery called Grass Pad.
  6. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

Why if you are taking a lawn full of weeds and renovating it would you want to put weeds back in it with the straw? Penmulch with another starter fertilizer added. I could never figure out that straw thing??????

7. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

8. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

My local Lesco store sells Turface. :) ;) :) ED
  9. Hamons

I was not trying to belittle anybody and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I hope mudstoppper did not take offense by the statement. It was the fact that i am a teacher that I see learning opportunities when people are not doing their own thinking and their own work.

You know the now cliche'd Chinese proverb:

Feed a man a fish he eats for a day -- show the man how to fish he eats for a lifetime.

I was trying to show him how I had went to find the information so the next time he would e able to do it on his own. I never made any belittling or judgmental statements.
  10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Actually I had already did a search and had found the websites that you posted. My reply to you was written as soon as I had finished reading your first post. My guess is that a lot of people read and then post and then look up the info for theirselves after posting. As I am sure you have done before also. I have also fpound that it is labled under different names and different prices for other uses besides ballparks and turf, such as in ponds for growing water plants. It is also available in different size granules. As for a dealer, there isnot a Lesco dealer within 100 miles of where I live so I guess I will still have to look for a source. Any information you could give as to the amounts that you use for lawns would also be appreciated. For ballparks the reccommended 1 ton per 1000 sqft sound a little high for a lawn.