Renovating an Existing Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Takeadoe, May 13, 2005.

1. Takeadoe

Takeadoe LawnSite Member

Gang,

I could really use some guideance on what to do with a 1-acre, 20-year-old yard of mine. I just spent $7500 on a commercial z-turn and the yard is so bumpy that I have to crawl with the mower. Not good! I want to smooth the yard and reseed. I've had great luck with reseeding projects of this size in the past. This is not what concerns me. I'm struggling with how to prep the site for seeding. Options are as follows: 1) till with a rotovator, 2) use a bobcat soil conditioner, 3) some combination of 1 and 2, 4) scrape the sod off with a dozer and then hit with a conditioner, 5) others?

I've experimented with the rotavator before and I've been dissapointed with the results. Frankly, the sod is a bear to deal with! It wants to clump and roll and I found it nearly impossible to get the surface smoothed. The other reason for not wanting to till is that the soil then has to resettle and this tends to cause bumps and dips - exactly what I'm trying to repair. I'm leaning heavy towards the dozer for several reasons. First, I could use the sod to fill a place in the yard. Second, I have an old field that I could use as a source for topsoil, which of course I would lose, at least some of it, by scraping the sod. Finally, there would be not settling issues to deal with. I thought I could go over it with a conditioner (although I've never done that before and had great luck) to prepare the soil.

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help. Please feel free to email directly at mtonkovich@msn.com.

Mike

2. CMB

CMB LawnSite Member
    from MD

Hi, I can relate to your lawn being awful to mow.I too was thinking about a zero-turn mower, but was told to fix the lawn by the lawn site guys.After lurking on all the sites I can find I've come up with a (plan). Fist gonna' rockhound down as far as I can afford, hauling the mess away may be the trick, will find out.Topsoil next, again as much and the cleanest I can afford.The idea I read about recently was to put down the seed first then have it hydroseeded down( without the seed in the hopper).Front yard is the plan at this time,'bout .65 acre, on a well so I won't water it.One problem is the hard time finding anyone to come to Cecil County to look at the lawn. From what I read ,Fall is the time for this so we have time to plan it out.In the meantime I'll be camping out here looking for replies to your post,Mike. PS. 'been hearing about straw being full of weeds so we need to look into that before we use it when seeding.

3. Takeadoe

Takeadoe LawnSite Member

I'll be camping too! I wonder, is there an easy way to keep track of a particular thread? (Never mind, I think I just figured it out!) Also, do you know of any other sites that might be worth visiting?

Mike

4. CMB

CMB LawnSite Member
    from MD

Hey Mike, nice name, The Garden Web is worth a hit or two, not as many pros like on this one. Do it yourself . com has some poop on diferent products out there too, they're both good to shoot some time on while you wait for answers here. For time spent I've found Lawn Site to be the one to surf the most,Mike