Renovating Horse Pasture 5 acres...HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmc456, Jan 13, 2005.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call today about renovating a 5 acre horse pasture.

Anyone have experience with this type of work.

I normally due 1 acre or less with my mataway power seeder but 5 acres. I guess I coud do it but it would take all day and night.

Looking for input on what to consider.

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

What type of renovation is needed? Complete or overseeding?

3. turf2be

turf2be LawnSite Member

start by getting your turf height to the ideal maintenance height of that particular turf type..heavy lime and low N fertilizer after you heavy aerify with pull type or self propelled(will be less work for you than dethatch)and over seed

4. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Make sure you don't use endophyte enhanced seeds. This could make the livestock sick. Usually pasture mixes have alot of clover, timothy, ky 31 and other weeds added.

The aeration idea would probably work pretty well. Run over several times, then broadcast seed and fertilizer with a starter fert. Don't try to cut costs if you want it to work.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you may first need to pull a "pasture pleaser" over the entire area to get break up any manure droppings ("road apples" as we called them as kids) before aerating and reseeding. You might wanna consider having a soil test done as well prior to start of the job too.

6. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Down here,horse pastures are common bermuda.If that's the case where you are,just sprig it with bermuda or seed it.I'm assuming by renovate,they want new forage grasses for the upcoming year.