Renovating in KANSAS

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Adam3669, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright guys...so my girlfriends mother wants me to renovate their lawn...but I think it might be a little too late to do anything about it. Is it too late?

Also, what would you guys suggest is the best type of grass to use here in Kansas, as I have no idea what kansas would be classified as.

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

It's not too late. You can re-seed or even plant a new lawn up till mid October with good results, even later if the temps are up.

We are in the "transition zone" Meaning that about all turf varieties can be grown here, cool and warm season, poorly, lol. I'd recommend a fescue blend of some type, those seem the most tolerant of our heat and humidity and stay green the longest in the season. Bermuda and Zoysia could be used, but there's only about a 4 month growth window in the heat of the summer for those, otherwise they are ugly.

Of course, when you say "renovate" are you talking a complete kill out with glyphosate? For that it IS getting late, many perennial weeds, including bermuda have already stopped growing so killing them totally really isn't possible now with good results.

3. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

I am in the same position. I have a customer who wants his lawn renovated. Glad to hear it is not too late. Make sure you tell 'em to water it. We are having a major dry spell here in Kansas.