Renovating mostly dead sod

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by andersman02, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

First and foremost ..... if you are in an area that requires irrigation, then install a proper irrigation system if you want any chance of growing a decent stand of turf. Where are you located?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Correction:

I meant to say, * 10% A Rygrass doesn't hurt either.. *.

3. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Caught that, I was thinking, "What is smallaxe talking about?!"

Im located in Central MN. As far as irrigation goes, This apartment complex has over an acre of turf, no way she would go for that. Too much of an expense for this. The area sodded is 5-10' out from the stoops of the apartments. From the end of the sod to the fence (30+ ft') has a pretty healthy stand of KBG, went dormant for part of last summer but came back during fall time.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't even consider aeration unless you think there is a major compaction issue that warrants an aeration first.

Even if you aerate, I'd still power seed the area. Aeration and seeding doesn't even come close to yielding the same results.

5. andersman02

Sounds good, I was thinking aerating to help pop through the existing sod thatch area. Sounds like slit seeding will get through this layer. We've NEVER used a split seeder in our 35 years and have had good results, so im VERY excited to see how these things preform.

6. andersman02

Last question, How deep would you set the slit seeder? I know your looking for 1/4'' ish coverage for the seed, are we talking 1/4'' into the thatch or actual soil. I would assume soil.....

7. Smallaxe

If you are seeding a 1/4 inch into thatch(living and dead roots and stems) obviously the seed isn't necessary in that spot... if it is in dead thatch in which everything has become cover for the seed then it will be fine also...

but again,,, don't disturb the ground too much with your new seed,,, becuz your dormant seed is ready to pop as soon as the temps are right...

How much shade are you running around this building???

8. andersman02

Its completely S facinig, so almost 100% sun

9. Smallaxe

So it should warm quickly once the sun starts breaking through again... let us know when seed starts to germinate, becuz it seems that very little germination has taken place throughout the mid-west at all...
    Are you going to hold off until May 16th then???

10. andersman02

Will be calling next week and touching base with her. Going to ask for 2 extra weeks because this weather.

Edit- its snowing out again :confused: