1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Renovating my Lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by clallen03, Sep 13, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

My lawn right now is full of dallas grass. In between the dallas grass there is a bit of fescue, bermuda, centipede, and crab grass. I have come to the conclusion that I want to completely renovate it an go with all fescue by seeding it. The only problem is I have never done it before and this is were you'll come in.

I have a 2.5 gallon jug of Prosecutor Pro and I going to kill off all the grass. Now I need to know what to do from there. Any advice will be great.

Thanks in advance
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

My opinion is that after you kill all of the grass, you will have to till in into the soil, or completely remove it. I would till it under and till down about 3" to soften up the surface. Fertilize the soil and water the fertilizer in a little. With the soil damp, spread your seed, and you will want to seed think and heavy, most fescue grasses that I know of grow one blade of grass for every seed. Once seeded, cover with Hay and water regularly.

I am in south Georgia now and we do not grow fescue lawns. But when I was in North Georgia, this is what I did to my own lawn 10 years ago to get it to grow. It was thin the first year, and I overseeded regularly and fertilized abot once every 2 months. The second year, it came in nice and thick and looked really nice and green. I loved my fescue lawn. I wish I could grow it in South Georgia.
  3. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

If you dont want to go to the effort to till the whole yard, I have had good results with slicer/seeders. I would do 2 apps of the Prosecutor, about 2 weeks apart that way you make sure you got a good kill. then use a slicer seeder and go two directions and cut in the fescue seed at around 10-12 pounds per 1,000 sq ft. Apply a Starter Fertlizer and water 2-3 times a day for the next 4-5 weeks.
    Fescue isn't exactly one seed = one blade but it is a bunch type grass which means it dosnt spread through "runners", it spreads through tillers which are shoots that grow off the sides of the crown. If it is thin it will sit down and look clumpy whereas if it is crowded it forces an upright growth habit.
  4. americanlawnartists

americanlawnartists LawnSite Member

I would do the application of the prosecutor. Wait and see what it does, and if it's not all dead after about five days or so I would reapply to kill off anything that was remaining. Take a mower and scalp the whole thing to about 1 1/2 inches then take a renovator/slice seeder (same thing) and slice the yard. If you really wanna good turn out you could slice up and down then go left to right, you wanna at least overlap a little. You probably want to do a soil test on it to see what condition the soil is in. You can go to lesco it's no more than 20 bucks. Good Luck