1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Renovating two lawns : one 2 Acre the other .5

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bdoss123, Jul 14, 2006.

1. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Both of these lawns have established grass that was neglected for several years. By neglected, I mean that it was not mowed to correct height, nor on any schedule. As a result, there seems to be about a 75/25 split between the fescue and broadleafs. It is worse in some areas, and better in others. Can I simply try to control the broadleaf and then ammend/slice/seed in the fall? These are not commercial accounts, rather rental properties that we need to get up to par.

A side question: On the .5 acre yard it seems that fescue is the predominant type of grass but there are two sections that seem to have something with a much thinner blade. Both areas are in the shade, so I thought the the past owner might have tried to use a shade-tolerant blend. Either way, I was wondering if these patches will interfere with successful growth on the new lawn.

- BD
  2. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

I know somebody can shed some light for me.... ! Will using the broadleaf killer + slit seeding do the trick or am I going to have to roundup and restart?

- BD
  3. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Broadleaf now, overseeding in early fall sounds like the best plan to me.

Overseed the shade areas, too, and may the best adapted grass win.....
  4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

turfproslt hit the nail on the head. You don't need to redo the areas, just control the weeds, take a soil test and fix the problem. also, the grass in the shade was eithier fine fescue or rye.
  5. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Thanks so much for that info. Can't wait to get these yards looking good. Turfco slit seeder / dethatcher sound like a good tool for the job?