1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rent equipment or hire people short term?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a big job that will need a bunch of stuff moved from one pile to another basically. I'm torn between hiring a couple of short term guys (1 to 2 weeks) or just rent some eq. for moving the stuff needed. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The eq. is more predictable but will also require me to run it ,while hiring 2 people is not as predictable but once I tell them what I need I can do something else. What would you do?
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think if it were me I would rent the equipment, because even if you hire someone you will still have to watch over them and worry that they might not show up.
  3. MOJOmowers

MOJOmowers LawnSite Member

I was in a similar situation recently and went with the equipment rental b/c most of my experiences with short-term labor have been negative.
    (I believe Roger Cook has writen a few articles about this but cant be certian off the top of my head.)
    The job went off with out a hitch! The equipment never called in sick, and I'll write it off at the end of the fiscal yr.
  4. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly what 'm thinking. With the equipment you know what you get, you rent the eq and go. You don't have someone not showing up, giving you attitude, or getting sick/hurt whatever. Sounds like the equipment would be the better choice for basic labor of moving material. I can rent a bobcat for a week for something like 500-600 which would be a little more than 1 employee perhaps but with a lot less headaches.
  5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Even a small piece of equipment can move a lot more material, a lot faster, than a man carrying it. You dont have to pay workerscomp or SSi on equipment either. I prefer to do everything myself if I can, there are times when an extra set of hands are needed, but I continually upgrade my equipment so as to eliminate having to have as many employees as possible.
  6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

good points.equipment you know what you are getting
  7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

For short term help go to employment staffing places. If someone doesn't show up they jeopardize themselves with that agency. Plus if they dont show call and usually they will have someone out in a hr or less.
  8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i would rent...i would rather do it myself even if i could be doing something else...plus you get to play with cool toys(equpt)...i would say rent...ive done it a few times and i feel i did the right thing...
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would rent. Too much of a headache to hire on guys for only a week or so.
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Depends on the situation. If you're just moving loose material then rent the equipment or even better find a guy that has a Bobcat that is need of some work and get him to do it while you're making money somewhere else. It really comes down to cost of your time.