1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rent/lease shop

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JFGLN, Jan 16, 2007.

1. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

Can I lease a shop, built on my property, back to myself? We are set up as an S corporation.
  2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

3. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Wow I never herd of that. Allthough we are an LLC
  4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes as long as your a S corp you are allowed. Thats what I do and have been for the past 3 years
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I do the same thing. I own the building, S Corp pays rent, therefore I collect rent and make my payment!

Do you guys just pay yourselves rent from the biz? OR do you have the biz pay for all water, sewer, phone, electricity bill etc? Say pay rent for 1K & utitlities are 200 / month? So does the biz pay for the entire 1200 or just the 1K in rent. Then there is insurance, property taxes??
  6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yes you can. You can even rent yourself a room for an office and a rental spot to park your truck if you really wanted to. Alot of larger companies have their own leasing companies specifically for that reason. :)
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

SSsshhh .... ya'll are letting the cat out of the bag ....in advantages of Inc & LLC
  8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

You take money out of your right pocket and put it in your left pocket...;)

I'll never get the hang of this.
  9. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

big thing it helps with are corp. taxes, dont want to have any money in your account at the end of the year, corp taxes are higher