1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rent my equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The mayor, Aug 4, 2005.

1. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have been hanging on some of my old equipment for that just in case something breaks down. Well it has been sitting there all year unused. I was looking at it today and thought what would be wrong if I put it in the front yard for rent. I have a extra 48" toro walkbehind w/ sulke and a ryan aerator. I could get a rental contract from the local rental yard for stipulations. Am I missing something. Should I give up the thought and sell the stuff outright.
  2. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

why would you give someone else the opportunity to abuse your equipment? If money is an issue, I would sell them. If not, I would keep them. They are paid for and not costing you any money to sit. However, if you rent them out they will start costing you money and headaches. Just my opinion.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

your insurance might have a problem with renting equipment out to other people on a formal basis.
  4. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have money issues. I just hate to see the stuff sit. But the insurance that may be a problem. I am not looking at getting any. If I need it then I won't do it. As most of you know when the stuff gets to a certain age it just isn't worth much. That's why I had this idea.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Then unload it...that, or think of it as a insurance policy.
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Why rent it to the local competitors to let them make $$ against you, using your equipment?? Sell it on eBay or somewhere outside your service area.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Sell it or trade with friends. I usually drag my stuff down to the swap meet at the local raceway and other LCO's will buy it. The last time you rented something, didn't you try to "get your money's worth"?
  8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Same thing I was thinking. Why? ;)
  9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

If it runs ..keep it..as soon as you sell it you will need it as a back up............Tired of sittin there ....cut your own yard with it.