Rental Aerators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Got Grass?, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a few requests for Aerating customers lawns and my lawn is in desprate need of it.
    I've called a few local rental places and thay only have the 20 some inch walk behind ones.

What would you do in this situation?
    Would you rent one of the small ones for 60-80 a day? Buy one of thoes cheep $100 tow behind plug ones? Something else?

I do not have the money to invest in a nice new one that will only be used a couple days a year. So dont tell me to go out to Lesco and buy one.

I dont know of any LCO's that have them and would be willing to rent them out. I also dont want to sub out the jobs becasue in this markey thay will try and steel my customers.

I'm worried that the 20 inch ones will take forever.
    Lawns are between 4k & 1acre.

Kinda funny yesterday I noticed TrueGreen/Chemlawn (UGHT!) Aerating/Dethatching/overseeding has found its way into the area. and I'm sure thay will attempt to monopolize this market as well. Just hope thay dont start cutting/trimming.

Also when sould I start doing this? How long before it gets cold? and when in the spring? As you can tell I'm arround Buffalo NY.

Thanks in advance.

2. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have a Brinley tow behind that I bought at an Ag/tractor supply company for $300.00. This is a 48" model (heavy duty) can add up to three cinder blocks for additional weight. I'm impressed with the job it does. The Lowes or Home Depot tow behinds are home owner grade and will not last.

This quality and price should be OK for your budget. Remember to charge 3 to 4 times what you get for mowing

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a turf vent pull behind 48 inch aerator and I like the job it does. I would not even think of buying a plug aerator from home cheapo, or lowes,etc. They don`t do any good and will not last long enough for you to make the money back that you paid for it.:mad: I would rent, even if small is the only ones they have, because it will give you a better job than the cheap ones, and this is what it is all about, right. A better job means more customers, and that means MOW MONEY....:D

I have offered this rate to some of my customers, to mabey get some referrals. They don`t need a lot of seed, few thin or bare spots, so I should do ok on these jobs.
    I got a referral and measured the lawn for areation and overseeding. It measures 24000 sq ft. If I would be cutting this lawn I would charge 35.00. If you only charge 3-4 times the mow, there wouldn`t be enough to pay for the seed that is used, it will need 96 lbs seed at 4 lbs per 1000/sq ft( seed is 1.00 lb), most of the lawn is thin.
    I figured 12.00 per 1000/sf. This comes out to 288.00 a lot more money to do the job, pay for the seed and some money in your pocket. If I am thinking wrong please tell me. :confused:

4. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Mow Money,I think dhicks is just talking about an aeration only at the 3 to 4 times the mow price....when you start adding seed it should be 5 to 6 times the mow price...I myself would rather go by per 1,000 sq ft.I think you still may be a little low at $12.00 per 1000 for aeration w/overseed......Got Grass how is up-state sure do miss it,use to live in Hilton,NW of Rochster....for your work I would rent ,try to line up a few more add GO.

5. Have any of you guys tried to rent or even demo an aeravator?

6. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I suggest you go ahead and rent one of the usual Ryan units that they have at most rental shops. Aerate 2 or 3 yards in a day and see what you think about the money.
    I use a Jacomsen vertical coring WB unit that is 30" wide. It does a great job and I own it but sometimes I wish I had one of the smaller Ryan units to handle the smaller lawns (2k--4k).
    As info, my postman and his son have a small LC business and they ended up buying two of the Ryan units within a few weeks of starting aerating. He is always bragging about having them paid for in a few weeks.
    Cleve.

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies!
    So far the vote is.
    Don't buy a cheep one.
    Rent one.
    Demo a Areavator

I do have a few lined up and my own lawn.
    How much can you actually do per hr. with a 20some inch machine?
    The guys at most of the rental places are all idiots. the guy at HomeDepot seemed to know more about them then anyone else.

Is $60-80 a good rate for a day rental?
    I think the ones thay rent arround here are bluebird.

I've read you can charge between 3-4 times a normal cut for aerating. Is this the going rate in my area? Not including over seeding/fert. or anything else?

I'd like to see someone let me demo a arevator for a day with no intent of buying one at this time.

It's my first year & going solo. I'm going to be buying a new truck soon before the winter hits for plowing. so I'm kinda straped for cash. So buying one now is outta the question.

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I pull in about 100 dollars an hour aerating with my 19 inch bluebird. Not easy work but good money!

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a Lesco around you? They rent also. I own a Turfvent (by Feldmann) and it IS a great machine, especially for the price. You can get into one for about 500 bucks, I think. I first learned about the Turfvent, because I rented one from out local rental place. Otherwise, I would have never evn known about the company. Anyway, if you rent, (and keep checking around for a tow behind to rent) arrange all your aerations ahead of time, and take a weekend and GO FOR IT! A good strategy to do, is rent on a Saturday, and many of times, you don't get charged for the Sunday, as they are closed. This gives you a free day. You will make as much in that weekend to buy yourself one. Good luck!;)

10. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I have an Agri Fab tow behind that I bought before I got in the business. I have modified it some what to increase the number of spoons (plugging spoons) It now gives me a hole about every 3 1/2 inches. I re-inforced it so that I can load it down with blocks otherwise it will not even penetrate that ground. I also rent a small one for those hard to get to places. I try to schedule my aerating all in one week so that I only have to rent it for that week. I plan on doing this next week. It will be a very busy week for me.

I hope to buy a Classen split drive next year.

To answer your question I recommend you renting one as well. If you have enough to do it will pay for itself. I would probably not use the Agri Fab it I did not already own it.

Good luck