Rental business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HazellLawnCare, Apr 22, 2008.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently in the works to buy a lawn equipment dealership and shop. I am planning on growing the business by adding rental equipment and doing more retail with items such as mulch, landscape rock, grass seed, fertilizer, garden seeds, and some quality hand tools. My question is what equipment would you purchase for rental equipment? I am thinking the following:
    Bluebird power rakes
    Bluebird overseeders
    Plugr aerators
    Bobcat with smooth and toothed bucket
    Toro dingo with bucket, auger, and trencher
    some kind of bedshaper

My question is what other pieces of equipment would you have for rentals?
  2. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

I'd prollly walk around a competitors yard and see what they have.

This sounds like a risky business to get into, what about people not knowing what to do with machines and tearing them up?
  3. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Stump grinder
    Sod cutter
    Ditch witch
    Plate compacter
  4. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

If you dont want to go fully lawn and garden equipment, you could get some fold up chairs and tables to rent our for parties. I know I have rented these several times.
  5. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I also thought of a good rear tine tiller today.
  6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

A buddy of mine before he folded up his rental shop (thanks to a home depot rental place a block away) did excatly what jrdean said. He had 4 kangas and just about every attachment they made for them. Everyone was rented out around the clock. It was more cost effective to buy a kanga and trencher vs a decated trencher. Plus when the trencher wasn't being rented, he rented out the kanaga with another attachment. The kanaga was still making money somehow. When he rented it, they got the trencher and backfill blade. But no bucket so it would only beable to do the job it was rented for. If they wanted it to do other work they would have to pay to rent a bucket too. His only problem was home depot started to rent a kanaga kid with the mini trailer with all 7 attachements for the same price as his with just one attachement.
  7. qwerty

qwerty LawnSite Member

It sounds like quite an ambitious venture. I would do a lot of research before adding landscape materials and rental equipment. You can get a lot of money tied up in a shop real fast. Also, check with your insurance and bill collecting companies about rentals.

We have had to work very hard to keep track of our equipment (ie getting it back, making sure all the pieces are still on the machine) and ensuring bills are paid.

You also have to make sure that you are giving your equipment purchasing/servicing customers quality service. Don't lose sight of the shop's current customers.