1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rental Contracts for my Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ron, Jun 17, 2001.

1. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Help my cusin has a friend who needs to rent a rider for two weeks because he needs to catch up on his work,my question is this since I am out of work until July 1 because of my accident.should I rent my rider to him and if so what type of contract should I use to cover my butt just incase something should happen he is willing to pay me $150.00 per week for two weeks....
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

that's a tricky one .....an considering your situation very understandable .....go get a copy of a larger local rental operation's agreement ......n get a deposit like twice that .....to cover damage ..... it's the liability side I'd be sketched on .......maybe something like

DEPOSITS ARE CASH IN ADVANCEAll equipment are used at the lessee's risk. Ron exercises precaution in keeping our equipment in good condition. Conditions which prevent satisfactory operation of equipment do not relieve lessee of his responsibility for rental charges.Lessee assumes all responsibilities for equipment while out of possession of lessor and promises to return
    such equipment to Ron in as good condition as it was at the effect date of the lease,
    Natural ware from a responsible use expected. Lessee shall be liable for any loss, theft, damage or destruction
    of leased property.
    All equipment loss or damaged beyond repair will be paid for by the lessee at the regular replacement price
    and all damaged equipment which may be repaired will be repaired by the manufacturer on the return thereof
    and the cost for such repairs shall be paid by the lessee.
    Accrued rental charges cannot be applied against the purchase price or cost of repairs of such damage or lost equipment. All cartage charges must be born by the lessee.
    Scheduled rental rates begin when equipment leaves the shop and continues until returned hereto.
    In the event the lessee desires to extend the lease, Ron must be notified immediately
    to obtain approval in writing for said extension.
    I agree that all charges for rental, damage, or material will be paid, and that all collection fees, attorney fees, court costs, or any expense involved in the collection of these charges will be borne by me in the court of the county in which indebtedness is incurred.
    Lessee's Signature__________________________________________________Date_______________________
    (1) A person commits theft of rental property if he:

(a) Obtains the temporary use of personal property of another, which is available only for hire, by means of
    threat or deception, or knowing that such use is without the consent of the person providing the personal
    property; or

(b) Having lawfully obtained possession for temporary use of the personal property of another which is available only for hire, intentionally fails to reveal the whereabouts of or to return it.
    (2) Theft of rental property is a felony and carries a fine or imprisonment or both as stated by state law of Florida.
    We are not responsible and no adjustments will be made for weather conditions, your ability to correctly operate the equipment or your determination of the suitability of this equipment to accomplish your task.Ron ______________________________________Date_______________
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I, for one, sure wouldn't do it,- especially with some you don't really even know.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt do it.I've had friends want to take my Dixie home when they get behind,no way-that is my livelyhood,and the small change you'll get isnt worth the chance if he breaks something,it falls off the trailer or gets stolen.This is just my opinion.It might also severe relations between you and your cousin.I only know a hnadful of people who are as careful with equipment as I am,and to them,I would,and have gladly lent some equipment.
  5. ron

Wow thanks for the info..
    you see I am in a no win situation..my Scagg super z 52 in rider has been sitting in my garage since May 15 because of my accident. every 5 days I do take it out among with my 36 in Scag wb and run them for a few minutes. that is all.my cusin friend is a nice person to him ,and he had asked for this favor.Since my cusin has been doing lawn care here for 19 years I guess that he would know if this was ok or not I do trust my cusin because he does get me good accounts when he gets to busy.so I guess if I wash his back maybe he will wash mine down the road.I do like the contract and I would like to copy it,just to save my butt.besides I really need the money to pay my credit cards.....
  6. ron

Hey thanks theleven "FIXIN TOO LEARN YA"FAMILYYYYYYYYY AUTOMART I SEE YOU THERE" I see there commericals all the time here in Port Orange Fl we are 4 miles from Daytona Beach..
  7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The most important thing you need to worry about is insurance...
    You need to be insured to rent out equipment.
    Contracts mean nothing, if you do not have the proper insurance.
    Talk to your agent and he will be able to price it up, then add this additional cost to your cousins friend.
  8. ron

Ok thanks for the info
  9. um, i am not gonna say anything about rental contracts other than sign a contract stating how you get paid, and that he is responsible for any and all repairs. the price is what i was gonna say. the crazy people who i work for, they rent out the demo tigers for i believe about 150 per day or so. so 150 per week for 2 weeks is only 300 dollars for about 14 days of work. so that is 20 dollars per day? do you really want somebody else beating on your machines for 20 bucks a day? maybe you should make a deal with him where he cuts for you in return for using your machine? that is just a thought.
  10. Alan

Alan Member

I guess I'm just a naive old fart, but if I could help the guy by loaning him a machine I'd do it. Either see if he could mow for you in exchange or let him pay what it was worth to him. I don't live under the fear of liability problems, but I think that if you loaned it to him and accepted a "gift" at the end there might be less problem with liability than if you went into a formal "rental" situation.