1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rental equipment

Discussion in 'Rental Equipment' started by z71tiger, Aug 19, 2009.

1. z71tiger

z71tiger LawnSite Senior Member

When you rent equipment do you just bill the customer for the cost or do you add a little something for yourself?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bill for the cost + labor for the job. Last year I rented a sod cutter to put in some new beds and I charged the cost of the rental as well as my labor. Just tacking on a little bit to the price for no good reason is in my opinion unethical.

3. Tq23

Tq23 LawnSite Member

When i rent equipment, i charge for the rental plus the labor to pick up and drop off the equipment.

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Unethical??????
    You are telling me that a painter buys a 5 gallon container of paint, charges you to paint a house, and only expects for his labor??? UUUUUHHH!! O.K.!!
    Labor is above the costs associated with the job. The supplies is the only real commodity that you can figure in a % of profit.
    Do you think Wal-Mart is buying M&M's for .65 cents a bag and charging us .65 to pay for the labor of the employees.???

When we rent a piece of equipment, a surcharge is imposed for delivery and return as well as cleaning. You are being nickel and dimed from the rental places on a piece of equipment. Why not charge a % of profit for your trouble--wear and tear?
    On the commercial level, a forklift for instance may be charged at 100.00 per hour to sit and run on a jobsite.
    The fuel is included.................so do you charge less for this??

5. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

I said that just adding a little bit for no good reason is unethical. You should charge enough that all expenses for the job are covered + the amount you take in as profit. Adding anything else above this amount without a good reason is unethical. Say you charge $500 for a job. Of that $300 is taken up by expenses and the remaining 200 is your proffit. Adding another $200 or so just because is what I'm talking about. But I understand where your coming from.

When I rent a piece of equipment for a job I charge the client the price of the rental (all fees concerning the rental like fuel, cleaning, and so on are included in this) + my labor for the job. Included in that is the work I did (which covers wear and tear on my equipment and my time) + my time and gas to go pick up the unit and return the unit. I include all of this in my labor charge, so if this caused any confusion I apologize, I admit I didn't explain it they way I did above in my post.

6. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

I do the same plus i will charge for the time to pick up, drop off, fuel and clean as well.

7. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I almost always add a little, example:
    If I go do a landscaping estimate and it comes out to be $400, then I will tell the customer that it will cost say $475. If they wanna haggle, then I can back of up to $75 and still be at my original price, if they dont haggle, then I just made an extra $75.

Everybody wants to feel like they are getting "a good deal", so if they haggle off a few bucks from my original price they BELIEVE they are getting a good deal, and I am still at or above my original estimate...

I went and got an alignment and tire repair this weekend and the shop added a shop fee, which is complete garbage, but I certainly did not complain about it. At least they are obligated to tell you about it up front, Very few customers ever ask me to break down a quote for them.....