Rental house with a nasty "yard" - Need advise.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Dashunde, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

So I've got this rental that has bare patchs, lots of random weeds, and a few large-area bare spots caused by wind-blown leaves.

My objective is to get this yard green and thick with minimal expenditure, but I dont really know what to do or what order to do it.

The house is in Nebraska and the current grass type is unknown, and the weeds are a clove looking type with round blades and its rather flat-lying, and there are several other weed varieties all over the place... this sad lawn is mostly weeds to be honest.
    The yard is about 100' deep x 60' wide.

I know that it will need alot of over-seeding, thats a given, but I dont know what to do about the weeds or what fertilizer to use or not to use. I also dont know what to do about the (assumably) highly acidic dead-leaf bare areas.

Frankly, I'm at a loss as to where to start...

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Dashunde

Comon guys... help me out here.
    Should I kill the weeds first, then fert and seed?
    Is there a particular product I should use?

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Get it on a good fert program and take care of the weeds. This fall go in there and do your slice seeding aerating and water water water...

Where do you mow in St. Louis?

4. grassyfras

I just re-read your post and saw that the lawn is pretty small. Why not make a day of it and sod the thing with a buddy?

5. Dashunde

Thanks Grassyfras... I'll do that.

I work west county... Chesterfield, Ballwin, etc.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

never weed and seed any closer than 30 days apart tyvm

7. Dashunde

Could I seed first to fill in the bare patches, then come back later with the weed killer?
    I'd like to get grass growing asap because of some very large bare areas due to the leaf build-up along a concrete patio... theres a 4' x 20' long strip of dirt in that area.

I guess what I really need to know is how soon after seeding can I weed? How does freshly germinated grass interact with weed killer?

8. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

is this a customers yard or a prop you rent out. if it is a customers yard i wouldnt bother too much.if you can get in contact with the actual owner sure.if it is your rental ,sure i would rip the place up and turf it.especially if it is all weed

9. grassyfras

I think most lables say a 2 week to a month to after seeding to be able to weed.

I cut in West County too. Maybe will see eachother around.

10. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Dashunde: If the spots you need to do a quick repair are small and in a highly used or visiable place try this.

Go to a place in the lawwn like by a fence or out towards the back that has good grass growiing. Remove enough for the repair with a sod cutter and move it to the trouble spot. then move the dirt from the trouble spot to the place where you removed the grass and seed it.

I have done this a number of times to implement a quick repair. One time we moved hundreds of sq. feet of grass from the outfield fence line of a ball field to sod around the new bleachers and no one even knew we had gotten the grass from the outfield.

Works and is a quick fix.

Turfcobob