Rental properties Real estate Agents

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DennyZ, May 1, 2007.

1. DennyZ

DennyZ LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

any body had/tried calling real estate agents or rental property manangment groups? if so any luck or just going to waist my time

2. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

The only problem with real estate companies is most of the time you have no set schedule, they just call and say we are showing a house, so we need it cut now, you have to drop everything and go cut it. The upside is they keep you busy. I took care of some real estate people for a while but it interfered with my regular customers to much, and I did not want to lose them.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I agree with cutsforless on this. I do work for a realty company and it works pretty much the same way. It is quite difficult balancing out regular clients and the realty properties. Normally I can handle it, but when the realty company drops 10 lawns on you one day and they need to be done by the end of the next day, you can get pretty busy trying to figure out how to manage 10 extra lawns with your regular lawns too. And the realty properties are almost never in great shape so they require alot of extra time involvement. Just make sure if you do work for a realty company that you charge accordingly and don't let them push you around on price or availability. Your regular clients should always come first.

4. DennyZ

DennyZ LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

What would be the best way to go about working for a realtor? Just call around and ask or stop and give them a profolio? any suggestions? Who would u ask for when u stop by?

5. CutsForLess

If you know any realtors start there, if not go by the realty company and talk to some of the realtors there. Some companies has somebody that does all their yards and some do it on a individual basis. They will not want to pay you much so stick by your guns or they will run all over you.

6. CutsForLess

Oh yeh carry plenty of air filters because about half of the yards will be dirt. The other half will be knee high, im not trying to discourage you but you need to know its not just mowing like you will be used to, always seems to be a lot of trash too since nobody lives there to pick it up.

7. spazfam

spazfam LawnSite Member

Actually about 70% of my accounts are from Property Management companies I have been fortunate to build a re pore with people in this business and work has continued. One thing is if you work for someone who manages investment properties ie Singles, doubles small apartment buildings they will only want the lawns done on a bi weekly schedule, so you will need a lot of properties to equal regular residential accounts.

8. Lucky's Lawncare

Lucky's Lawncare LawnSite Member

I actually am a realtor as well as LCO. I would suggest finding out which realtor does the foreclosures in your area. This is unfortunatley a very fast growing problem, but there is alot of business there for us. The foreclosure rate is growing by leaps and bounds all across the country. The problem is you lose them when they sell so it is hard to set a schedule. The nice thing is you can do them whenever you get a chance.

You can definetly try to go to an real estate office and make some contacts, but I wish you luck there. I have been a realtor for years so I can tell you every Tom, Dick, and Harry tries this from every industry out there so most of us don't pay much attention. I bet I get 10 different businesses a week that drop off flyers at my office. Not all lawn care but there are plenty of those too.

Hope this helps and good luck!!