Rental Properties

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, May 12, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

Does anyone take one time jobs from Landlords who let their grass get knee high and then call you to cut it? I got like 4 calls this week from them. I took all of them. Small lots and I got a good price on them. Just wondering what others do when they get these type of lawns..:confused:

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I try not to take them because you will be putting stress on your machines. We value our equipment enough to stay away from those types of properties. There could be things in that thick of property that can really mess your equipment up.

3. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

Try to get them to go month by month at the minimum if they dont want to charge them a arm in a leg if its knee high:blob2:

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

We will only go to those properties once, we charge them a fee for overgrown lawns and payment is due prior to service. We have had too many times where we service an overgrown yard and they don't want to pay. We do not go back to them though if the only time they call us is if when the grass is crazy out of control. It is too rough on your equipment.

5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I would go as well. If you charge the price you need plus some you don't need to worry about the added stress on the machines...you'll make enough to stay in business.

6. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

if you charged well and didnt do these jobs at the expense of your best customers,you did well .never expect too much from these types though

7. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

i have 4 rentel properties all from the same guy i mow them every other week i charge him 125.00 and there just little bitty things all right by each other.

8. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

we use one of our old ferris w/b for delinquent properties. we mow a lot for cities and charge about 4 - 5 times what it would normally be. the dangers are unseen debris. we have hit bicycle parts, shingles, bed springs, you name it. but since we have one dedicated old machine, we make money with it.

9. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

LOL! I hit a mole today.. I don't know where it got to.. Pulverized I guess..