Rental Property Cleanup Bid Sanity Check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tx_angler, Aug 1, 2004.

1. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I was asked to give a bid on hauling trash away from a rental property. Click here to view pictures.

Here are the constraints:

The county does not have a landfill only a transfer station.

The transfer station does not accecpt hazardous materials.

The transfer station does charge a fee for commercial useage based on cubic feet of vehicle. In my case a 6.5x16 foot landscape trailer with 4 foot sides.

The rusted storage building will be torn down and removed.

The trash behind the storage is appears to be mostly lumber but I'm sure there are other suprizes in there.

All trash will have to be carried to the curb as there is no access to the backyard with a vehicle.

We propose to use a chainsaw and metal cutting skill saw to reduce the bulk and I estimate we can get all trash in one (very big) load.

Given the above constraints:
    1. How many man hours do you think this job will take (excluding drive time to/from the transfer station)?
    2. How would you dispose of the hazardous materials (freon in refrigerator, paint in paint cans, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

The place is an absolute slum. I'd be real leary of doing this job without a full pre-payment.

Next, I'm not sure how you lift things like stoves and refrigerators safely. I've got a slipped disc and let me tell you, moving something as big and heavy as a refrigerator has back injury written all over it, in my opinion. If you've never had a back injury, you're very likely to discount this warning. If you've experienced a back injury you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Next, find out where you can dispose of the things like freon in the refrigerator and the paint and stuff like that and build that into your cost of goods sold too.

If you think you can get it in one load, figure on paying for two or three loads in your cost of goods sold. You don't want an unpleasant surprise.

All I can say is, bid it high. If you think it will take 10 man hours to get it done, figure on 20 when you place your bid. The nice thing about a job like this is, no one knows what it should cost. Anytime you get into that kind of opportunity, there is better money to be made than when you're mowing lawns.

Good luck.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

3. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I'd just bid 4k and get it or not.
    Matt

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Angler, I've done quite a bit of those type of clean ups... Pm me and I can give you some ideas

5. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

My price here would be $500.00 flat, all money to be collected up front. We have access to two landfills here though, the reason for it to be this high is you don't know what is living under those piles. I also have a 6 x 10 dump trailer so I would only need to load it ounce that really makes a difference. I would call your local trash pickup people and see where they dump. Good luck with it.

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

First off......that looks like a mansion compared to the dump (which I own) I cleaned up this winter. 14 truck loads of crap removed in one day.

Long story......but anyway .....what about having a dumpster put in the driveway for the clean-up.

It really doesn't look that bad to me. You might contact the local trash haulers and find out what they do with hazmat stuff.

Derek

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I would say 9 man hours.

what dmontgomery said.....................don't look that bad from the photos....I have done worse...$1500-$2500 depending on the loads and trouble getting rid of the haz mat.

good luck......sherrill

8. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

Wow - at least the lawn isn't 5 feet tall and you don't know whats in the grass. . .

9. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I told the real estate lady $760+sales tax+dump fees and she said, "That's OK, my nephew is going to do it." I felt like I was cutting her a deal with the HAZMAT, but evidently the nephew needs to learn a little about the EPA.

Thanks for all your replys!

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm NOT Fredd G Sanford.... I'd don my track shoes and run like hell from this job!