Rented a Cat Skid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lawnworks, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Well I started a project at the beginning of this week, and I had to rent a skid twice. The first one I rented was a New holland lx665? ... not so pleasant experience for me in that jerky thing... I wanted to take a leak on that machine before I took it back. All I used for was to unload some bnbs from a flatbed... too high for my dingo.

Well yesterday I found out where I could rent a cat for the weekend and got a Cat 226. After literally 5 seconds in that thing... I knew it was the Cats meow! That thing was so smooth... I don't even want to try a bobcat. I had to spread about 8 yards of dirt and I have never gone through a pile of dirt that fast... felt like 5-10 minutes. Hell of lot faster than the kubota 4340 I have been using. I love those pilot controls.

Then I hooked up my harley rake and went to town. It was little bit more difficult on the final pass ... getting everything perfectly smooth. I could probably do a better job w/ a harley rake on a tractor... but I probably just need more seat time. It was kind of tough to keep it from rocking and creating divots. It seem like the longer wheelbase on a tractor was better. I got the rocking down to a minimum by putting a little more weight on the castor wheels... seemed to help some.

One thing I had to get used to was the visibility when using the harley rake backwards. I hit a freakin bellsouth connections box... that was fun. Harley raking was much more comfortable in the skid than in the tractor... I just kept having to make myself look back so I wouldn't hit anything. I know some skids have the rear view mirror... I don't know if this would have helped or not.

After spending about 2 minutes on the machine... I have decided it is just going to have to be a cat purchase. I logged b/t 8-10 hours yesterday and today... and actually feel somewhat proficient at operating the cat. I probably need a 246... just enough to lift a pallet of sod of a trailer would be nice.

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I'm still wanting to use a CAT.....I've used Mustang, Takeuchi, Bobcat, New Holland and Case. Normally go for a Bobcat T190 (300 isn't available for renting unfortunitely) or a Takeuchi. The New Holland I have used in the past I loved but am not clear on which it was.........one of the big ones, maybe what you were using. Was the jerking on pavement or dirt? Could just need a little tuning, not to mention its a rental.

3. Lawnworks

from usa

It was an OLD New Holland... I am sure the newer ones are better. It was really really sensitive w/ the hand and foot controls. We had a really hard time changing attachments too... I wouldn't have been able to grade at all with that thing.

4. tthomass

from N. VA

The Mustang I used was like that. VERY sensitive and all hand controls. In fact I slashed a tire on one of the trucks with the forks. This has been prob 3 years but it was a track machine and would spin around on a dime if you breathed too hard.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The old T-Bar setup?

6. tthomass

from N. VA

I don't know.......I wouldn't call it old.........it was a new machine, 1 year-ish at the time and a track machine........I would compare to a T-190 in size

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Must be a yellow TK. They are touchy but no more so than anyone elses I don't think. If you can run a CAT you can certainly run a TK.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Don't buy a Cat until you demo something else. That way, you'll know what you're NOT missing with other brands. :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding, but in all reality, Cat makes a great skid, I don't care what anyone says.

9. Lawnworks

from usa

Hey scag48
    Will a 226 or 236 lift a pallet of sod off of a trailer? Got any tips on harley raking?

After spending literally 8 hours on the cat... it felt like I hadn't even been to work. No fatigue at all.

10. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

:nono: Don't get on here and bash New Holland when you clearly don't know how to run the machine in the first place. I run the same machine almost every day it can out lift some bigger machines and pound for pound is a better machine than our new bobcat t190. IF our new Holland had tracks you could not stop it. If you can't use the foot control then get a cat but don't blame it on the machine. Our LX665 is an incredible machine it just turned over 3000 hours it has been the most reliable machine I have ever seen, we did own a cat 247b but the track system fell apart at 1200 hours, we now have a Bobcat T190 Gold package and the new holland. By the way about 6 months ago the new holland was flooded up to the top of the seat back and i waded in and drove it out. I do have some pictures of that i will post later. Sorry I had to vent but New holland makes a great Machine.

lx665 and buggy small.jpg