Renter Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, May 1, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, so I go and look at a really small rental property today for a guy, only about 8,000 sq ft. I say that I will do it no problem, but then I find out who the renters are. One of the renters I had a problem with about 2 years and lets just say that I really don't her. (And thats being nice because when I think about her I think about every four letter word in the book)

Now I am thinking that I should back out of it, which I will probably let him know later tonight or tomorrow that its a no go because I don't want to have problems from this lady.

What would you guys have done or do?

2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

If you had problems with them once you WILL have them again, people dont change.

3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

It would depend on what the problems were the first time around. If it was payment problems, or problems keeping her happy with the work, I would probably make sure the property owner agreed that you are working for him and not the tenant, then go for it.

4. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with turfmedic. It reallydepends on the past problems. Now if this is an ex-girlfriend :)D)or something like that, then I wouldn't stick around for this one.

5. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

If she is an EX.

She may be setting you up.. Cant never tell about that type..

6. tiedeman

from earth

Ok, I will lay it on the line: This happened about 2 1/2 years ago.

basically, she had a mouth problem and attitude problem. She wasn't a past customer, but someone that I knew that used to work at a gas station where I would stop. Let's just say that in the past I used to have my employees meet me at this gas station and I would picked them up for work for the day (it was an ideal location).

Well, one day one of my employees doesn't show up, so I go into the gas station all p*ssed off. I start talking about how I need to start to find some people that want to work.

Welllllllllllll, I take off and he comes in late (overslept) and she tells him that he is fired. He wasn't fired, and no time did I say that he was fired. So he calls me up yelling and screaming about how could I tell someone else that he was fired when he didn't even know yet and how he was mad that he had to find out through someone else.

So I get mad because he has the nerve to call me up and yell at me so I DID end up firing him because of just that reason, and not for coming in late.

After I get off the phone with him, I call her up and chew her @ss out for telling him he was fired when he wasn't (fun happy time to who ever was listening to that conversation) So now I am up sh*t creek without a guy and it was because of her.

7. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

You layed it on the line. Now I will.

You should never discuss a problem with an employee or customer with a third party as you did with the gas lady.

People love bad news and love to make bad news worse if at all possible.

If you get whizzed at someone that you work with or for. Take a hike or drive until you get your head together. For flying off the handle does not work as you have found out the hard way.

I would try to avoid the job and let the guy know that you can not do it.

8. tiedeman

from earth

I know lynyrd, I learned my lesson from that.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

She was out of bounds for saying anything to him at all about being fired, even if you HAD said that to her. You were out of bounds for speaking in a condescending way about your employee (any employee for that matter) to her or anyone else.
    It was a mistake, perhaps a misunderstanding. I SURE wouldn't let it keep festering, and I would do the job just as if nothing had happened. This was 2 1/2 years ago. You BOTH should be over it. Be bigger than that than to carry something on your shoulders that long. Let it go, and don't let it affect your bottom line.

10. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

This is one of those situations where someone really needs an their butt kicked. So my advice to you is to stand in front of a full length mirror so you can get a good aim. That situation that you mentioned is all on you, she should be the one pissed that you called and ripped her, that is unless you told her that what you said about the employee was in strictest confidence and swear her to secrecy. Even then you can't talk about your employees, except maybe to your priest :D.

She has probably already forgotten about it, and I would act accordingly.

Oh by the way, I wouldn't mention the "problem" you had with her to the property owner, it will only make you look bad.