1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

renters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jim Feder, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Jim Feder

Jim Feder LawnSite Member

the people that live next to me asked me if i would cut and do fert for them so this is next door to me I say ya tell them 25 to cut and 30 for fert ( do it when I do my lawn so give fair price.) things go good yard looks better then ever lady tells me so put invoice in mail box for 8 mowing and two fert dont here from them see the guy in the yard tell him I stop cutting at 250.00 owed he said ok. the next week comes around so I just cut my yard dont do theres two or three days go buy yard getting tall ( i just cut the lawn I dont have to go and ask for my cash.) so the lawn got cut with a 21 and it has been 6 days and still know cash what should i do?

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Consider it a lesson learned.
    Why would you eight cuttings without getting paid?
    How did you manage to do fert apps in that time period?

Approach the guy (with a witness of yours nearby) and ask what the deal is.

3. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Reasons like that is why I don't do neighbors or any other lawns in my neighborhood...

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Amen. No neighbors, friends, or relatives.

:D

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I assume that you didn't have a contract so I would talk with them and setup a payment plan, take them to court or just figure it as a lesson learned.

Gravely_Man

6. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

My best and favorite customers are my neighbors that I have been mowing since I was 10 never ave a problem with them paying up. When I have a problem of someone not paying I just send a letter saying they can make payments(if its a large bill) and if not we will have a collection agency calling.

7. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I would start by talking with them about it in a professional manner and try to work something out. If that did not work, I would send them a letter by certified mail and give them maybe thirty days to have payment made in full. If that did not work I would probably take them to court. You do have to live next door to these people though so going to court might not be such a good idea. Sometimes it is bed to say "Lesson Learned" and go on.