1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Renting a Dethatcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mklawnman, Apr 14, 2003.

1. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call today to look at a city lot about 90x100somthing for dethatching. Now I've never done dethatching but, I'm guessin its not that hard?? Was planning on renting a walkbehind dethatcher and doing it that way cause I'm guessin its not to big for a walkbehind, probably should get one with a bagger on it too. Though I did a search on dethatching and learned something about thatch and that not all lawns need to be dethatched. I plan on looking over the property tommorow and call him to tell him how much it will be for me to come in there to rent a dethatcher and do the work.
    Any thoughts or opinions would greatly be appreciated.
  2. $78 a day or $35 for 4 hour minimum.

However I don't rent one.

Seen bags for them, but find it easier to blow into piles then pick up.

You're on your own on the rest, but make sure you recoup your rental fee.
  3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

use a lawn mower with a bag.i run the dethatcher over the lawn then pick everything up with the mower
  4. Dan's lawn care

Dan's lawn care LawnSite Member

I got a Dethatcher on my walk-behind mower then i just put the cacher and it does just fine.
  5. Dan, not that same thing as "dethatching"....

Without getting into it to far, you are ruffing up the thatch layer, not removing it.

Search a thread by Grndskprs, and you will know what needs to be done to do a true "dethatching."

A mechanical one will do it correctly.
  6. mklawnman

Yeah I agree with LGF, I saw that thread that grdskeeper has about thatch, and that a real dethatcher is the right machine to use, plus if this lot size is a city lot I may not be able to get my Turf Tiger on the lawn cause it wouldnt be big enough.
    All I hope is that it won't take too long to clean up, cause my bagger for the Turf Tiger isn't going to get in until late April at the dealer:confused: so for now good ole' blower and rake and tarp will do for now.
  7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

mklawnman, are you sure you want to rent a dethatcher??It will make one hell of a mess, and leave you with a hell of a lot to haul off...You might want to enquire about a tine rake, removes the snow bound dead grass, twigs, trash, etc.. and fluff up the yard real nice. Dethatching is a tedious process, an alot of work.

A tine rake can be mounted to the front of your wb or whatever, and with a bagger, an the blades engaged you can do it all at once. Not actually dethatching, but it will make the grass look real nice.

People up here faint when I tell them how much I would charge to dethatch a yard.:rolleyes:

I have never seen a home owner do it either.. :D
  8. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

just my thoughts on it. if you are going to do the job do it right. get paid for what you are doing. so tell your customer i cant go over your yard with a tine rake or whatever to fluff it up, or i can dethatch your yard with a dethatcher and rough up the thatch level, then charge to haul the stuff away. work for your money, do a good job so that you can post pictures of a gorgous lawn that is healthy and taken care of
  9. mklawnman

As I've heard before a tine rake just gets some of the thatch, and not all of it. Ill look to see how much thatch there is on the lawn itself to decide. I dont have the bagger yet so cleanup will take some time.
  10. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I have used both a tine rake and a dethatcher. Big, Big difference. A dethatcher does a great job but leaves one heck of a mess to clean up. The results are great.