Renting a shop

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lux Lawn, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

For the last couple of months I have been looking for a shop to rent because I am running out of room at home.The problem has been finding something close to home...there's just nothing around me.I did finally find a place this week 25X40 for $400 a month plus utilities.Sounds like a good deal to me even though its out of the way a little.Whats some of the size's you rent?

2. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I rent a garage that is 12x30 and no utilities. I pay 215.00 a month. The nice thing is it's only 2 minutes from my house. The inside has 12' a high ceiling so I made shelves to increase storage. I'm in Eastern Pa. Matt

3. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

My building is 1600 sq ft with a 12x14 office and restroom.

I pay $675.00 plus utilities.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

If you have room......you may look into having a building put up on your property. I am having a 24x40 sq.ft one put up for $8900.....not including the floor. It is pole barn

Derek

5. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

LUX that is the going rate, I priced out the same size building and it is 500+ utilities.

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a nice shop, but renting seems very expensive to me. Even if thats considered a good price, its still a lot of money.

7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Hey Larry,
    I've been thinking about this since we talked on the phone yesterday. Any way possible that you have room to build a shop behind the house or add on to the garage? Renting would run you $4800 a year, in two or three years (depending on size & ammenities) if you had something built it would pay for itself. The way your business is going (getting bigger) I don't see you getting out any time soon, I'd think if you could put something on your lot you'd come out ahead.

Plus you mentioned the shop you may rent isn't in the best neighborhood, so that means I'd have to send my "guard dog" down to protect those Surfers. :D Too bad you don't live a bit closer I've got about 13 acres to spare here...and our baseball team is winning!! :cool2:

Buck

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I rent a 30 X 40 shop with two storage rooms and a bathroom for $550 + utilities which is dirt cheap for this area. Most are $1000 + minimum. I am looking at building as well, I'd rather build a little equity than fill my landlords pockets!!!! payup

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Where are you at in Cleveland because I really can't find anything that great...the place I looked at today would not be bad but the angle of backing the trailers in the shop may be tough.

Buck,
    I don't think the city would go for putting up some type of building on our property since we live right in the middle of the dub division of house's.If we were at the end of the street or something then maybe I would check into it more.
    As far as the dog well my three can bark at people and protect the Surfers just fine as long as there no food around.The baseball team well who knows at this point whats up with them they lost again today.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Larry, you might wanna pm Turfdude (Bob) for some ideas...he built a great shop and office area here in NJ.