Renting a ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 19, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I am going to be squeezed for time this next week and I have a 2 acre job (not hardly any trimming) to do for $65 (I know not alot, but the "last guy" did it for 45 so I can't complain) and was going to use my 32" Toro rider but I'm wondering if it would be more profitable, at least timewise, to rent a Z. It's just a one time job. Anyone know about how much per hour you can get a 48" or 60" ztr for? I think the only local rental ones are Scag if that helps. I figure it would take about 2 1/2 hours or slightly more to just mow (not trim) with my 32" rider, but with a 48" Z I think it'd only take around an hour or maybe less, depending on grass thickness?? Do they charge per hour it's not at thier store or per hour on the meter or what? How much per this hour? Thanx,
    Eric

2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Central Florida- you can rent a 52'' for 130.00 per day

3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I get all of my rentals for free. :p :D
    Go for the 60" one if you can.

4. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the wrong buisiness, $130 a day wow that is 1/3 of a monthly mower payment. Two months of renting it out and it will be basically paid for now thats impressive.

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

How do you get them free LawnKid?
    Does anyone know a "per hour" rate for these?
    I figure even if they are $50 per hour, (high end compared to $130/day, no?) then it's still worth it to me, just for the time savings if nothin' else. I would have to pick it up and drop it back off so I have to take that extra time but I think it might be helpful this time. I will call tomorrow morning and price those Scags. A WB with a sulky would work too. This yard is wide open flat no hills not hardly anything to trim only a few trees. one of those profitable yards. Wish I could get him to be a regular customer but he doesn't want to pay for it. If I got him, I could start to think about getting a used Ztr or a new WB maybe but all other customers don't have more than 3/4 acre. It would still be nice for them, but I don't have alot of customers. Can't justify buying one, but renting one for this job could be cool because I'm short of time.
    Thanx,
    Eric

6. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think they rent it every day LOL! Plus i'm sure there more to it.

How many times have you heard "It only takes you 25 min to cut my lawn and I pay you 35.00, I must be in the wrong business"

7. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Use what you have put some of the money back for a Ztr in the future. Now you might see if you could demo one for the day that would be free.

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Hey, that's a good idea! Think it'd work? A local Case IH dealer has eXmark's, that might work.. Right down the road. he would probably let me do it too but I don't wanna take advantage of them because I'll probably deal with them in the future. If they have a used one maybe I can get it on payments like $200 a month then I could get a reasonable machine this summer, but that would take most of my profit and that sucks cause I wanna truck and I don't have that many customers, but when I get my license next year I will get more customers.. I don't know what to do....:( :mad: :(

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Around here, nobody will rent mowing equipment anymore due to people tearing it up and liability issues. Back a couple of years ago, when you could find a ZTR to rent, they were 110.00/day or 60.00/half day.:(

10. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

around here they are 130 or so a day with a one day minimum... it would save you your man hours but not any real cash unless you line a lot of jobs up