renting and charging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Aug 17, 2003.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

If a custumer asks me to do an extra and i dont have the piece of equimptment and have to rent it do i charge the cust? Shouldnt i already have it if i told them i could do it?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

no no no no no if u said u could do something thats fine if u rent something u pas the charge along to the acc. just as if u owned it had to maintain it store it insure it and so on u have to charge the same either way just because u own equipment doesn't mean u don't charge to use it

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Customer pays the cost of rental

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We rent for aerations,Customer always pays the cost.

5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

This is something I do not agree with. I feel that if you are going to charge lets say $10 / M for aeration and the place is 15M then the price should be $150. Not $150 + $60? for rental of a machine. Now if you are working by the day doing irrigation systems then you should charge the rental fee for the ditch witch.

I hope that makes sense.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We get a whole lot more than that for aeration.If I could only get 150.00 for 15,000 Sq.Ft. I wouldn't bother.

7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I have to disagree with you on this one fblandscape. It doesn't make sense. If you only need a piece of equipment a few times a year there is no sense in buying it. When you have to rent a piece of equipment to do a particular job the rental fee is charged back to the acct. This is something that the customer needs to be aware of up front. That way they may want to seek bids from other companies. Another option is subbing the work out to someone who does have the equipment.

8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I'm just picking a hypothetical number there. However if you want to get into aeration prices... I got a price about a year ago of $125 to do a single pass over a 50M property. 2 passes they wanted I think $175.

9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanx for your comments. I think i will charge for the rent.

10. Advanced Lawncare

Advanced Lawncare LawnSite Member

If I have to rent a piece of equipment the cost of the rental is included in the price to do the job. the rental fee is passed on to the customer, it just does not appear as a separate charge.