Renting Equip and trying out new services

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowingismylife, May 1, 2004.

1. mowingismylife

mowingismylife LawnSite Member

Hey i was just wondering what you all think about renting equip like garden tillers and so on? I was thinking about Trying out Garden tilling and maybe some other services in one of the small towns near us that we service to see what kind of business we would get but i do not got a tiller so i would have to rent it. I wanted to sample a few services to see if they would be in demand or not. I have not seen vary many people around where i live that offer garden tilling. Would it be worth it to try this out? and line a few customers up on the same day and do it? Do any of you guys offer Tilling as a side service? What do you charge? thanks for any info

2. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

I have done some tilling for customers. I don't really enjoy it, but they pay me pretty well to do it.

Here is what I have learned:

One size fits all does not apply to tillers
    I prefer the ones with the auger on the front vs the rear
    In heavy clay soil you may need to break up the ground first
    Be careful of buried utility lines, sprinklers etc..

My guess as to why you don't see it advertised a lot is that most people who garden have bought a tiller, or know a neighbor who has one.

I charge my cost per hour mowing + a rental if any.

The only way to learn if it will work for you is to try it out, and practice in your own yard.