Renting equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spcfoor, Dec 7, 2004.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone here rent equipment to do a job? I am going to rent a billygoat leaf blower for this weekend in order to do 3 leaf cleanups.($60 for 24 hrs.) I am a part-timer hopefully going full time next year. I can only work on the weekends now since it gets dark at 1630.

2. spcfoor

I'm sorry but it gets dark at 1730.

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

yeah, I'm real sorry to say, it gets dark at 16:30 here :cry:

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I rent a tractor and brush hog a couple of times a year. I used to have one but sold it due to only needing it infrequently. You're alwys better off renting until purchasing is justified by enough use.

5. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I rent Log Splitters. I do my leaf clean ups with to Echo PB 650's, mulching then bagging. I hear ya on the getting dark. It gets dark here @ 1730 as well. I work on my regular job till 1700 so I am constrained to working weekends and to make it worse, my job is going to work this Saturday. It doesn't pay for me to turn down overtime @ $40 hr (on my butt) to work my tail off for $60/hr and have to pay help and expenses out of that.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Good advice, that's what we do. Matt always rents a chipper and a stump grinder when needed, just not worth it for us to buy one.

7. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have rented a bed edger for the couple big mulch jobs I did this season. I can't see buying one anytime soon unless I start mulching a lot. It gets dark to the point of not being able to work at 5:45 here. It is great fun getting out of school at 3:00 and trying to get some work done :rolleyes:

8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as you price you leaf cleanups right, $60 isn't bad. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

9. spcfoor

I have one priced at 125 and the two other are but the hour at 35 per hour with a two hour min. They will probably take 3 to 4hrs to do. The customers almost had a fit when I told them 35 per hour. I don't know what other people charge here in tulsa but I thought I was cheap. maybe to cheap.

10. TLM

TLM LawnSite Member

Sometimes renting it all week works out better. I rent my Bill Goat for one month and I will get all coustomers serviced in that time. Also some rental stores will sell used equipment at a good price - might give some a call.