renting land on main drag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MLI, Jan 11, 2003.

1. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

morning.....presently we run our biz from a 3 bay garage at my home. The problem is, we are running out of space. Im looking to expand this year, and ran into a lot about 85ft by 70 ft (commercial)on a main rd. Traffic count is high for this area. My thought is to bring in some of those truck storage containers 20 footers and set up shop there. On the side of the container(facing the main st.) i'd have my logo, along with some ad's. The pro's as I see it are:
    *free advertisement on main road
    *room to have mulch pile(buy wholesale)
    *able to expand

cons:
    *not sure about security(the storage containers are secure, not sure about trucks) possible fence around property!
    *adding $500 more to overhead for rent.

Any thoughts from you folks that have made a step like this?! Was it worth it?

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Con. Doesn't sound like an image builder. I know where you are comming from. I operate from 2 car. Building a 24x12 "shed" on only flat ground I have. Would love to "buy" property on busy road. Yea right! Well, good luck to you.

Mark

3. LLMSERVICE

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

Dropping storage containers on a piece of rental property is not a positive image builder. If its on the main drag, there may also be some municipal bylaws regarding property standards as well. If you are going to have a formal operations centre, you should consider somewhere with a positive aesthetic image tyhat includes room for your office, secure storage, maintenance and ample room to park equipment securely. If you are looking at the property from a purchase option, Home building supply houses like Lowes or Home Depot have affordable garage packages that could provide you with office space as well.

There may be some less expensive land options in commercial/industrial areas off the main drag as an option. In addition, there may be some office/warehouse/garages available in your community. Here, there are a number of former neighborhood service stations that would make ideal operations centres. Check with your Department of Environment as there may be financial incentive programs to assist cleaning up contaminated soil from former gas stations. We have a program Provincially that helps clean up former gas station properties and re establish them for new development.

4. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

i have considered a steel frame building and putting up a mobile construction office. when i looked into it deeper, the city will not allow it. they will only allow a mobile shelter for 2 years, then a main structure has to be built.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think your biggest problem is going to be what the municipality will allow as in temporary/permanent structures. Issues they will probably bring up will be access to/from the main road, improvements to the property, and a bunch of others I'm sure.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The containers will not give a good image. For a main road you want something that will add appeal and get attention. I would look somewhere else for the shop to locate. You trucks will be your main advertisement driving around.

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

There is some good advice above. First and foremost check into zoning regulations. Here in CT, a property zoned c-3 (commercial) is not zoned for a land. business. Check into this at your building dept. first. If all goes well you can always put a nice sign out front instead of drawing attention to the trailers.

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Rent in business districts is high. Also, you better check w/ the township for their zoning laws first. They may not accept your type of set up. I am in the process of putting up a building and we had to get bulk variance to store mulch and use variance as we really don't do retail. Also, is that lot big enough to get multiple trucks and trailers in, park employee vehicles, etc...

Bob

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't think that will do your image any good. I know the city I live in just passed a new law this week. It says that NO storage containers will be allowed in city limits that are to be used as permanent storage. They reason was the following, eyesore, not water tight, degrades property values. I bet even if your city or county codes allow it, that they will soon join the bandwagon and come up with a similiar ban on them. Just something to think about.