Renting out my Ryan 28 Lawnaire aeratorr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Mar 18, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Recently purchased this used machine in great shape for $2000. Lets face it I need to make some money on it and I will...a couple of my neighbors and I usually rented these for the past 5 years...only rentals were the Bluebird BackBreakers at $65 per day.These guys know how to run an aerator and take very good care of equip.Well now these guys asked me if I'll 'rent' mine out to them...Given that the Ryan is so much easier to operate and cuts a wider swath thus saving their old bodies, I dont think I should charge less than $85 a day...I just put new tines on it so it works quickly and easily....any thoughts on what to charge them??...and no they dont want to pay me $200 to do it for them...its still money I can put back into the equipfund..thanks much
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a tough call. My number 1 rule is NO ONE MESSES WITH THE MANS EQUIPTMENT, and I have stuck to that rule.

There may be some unforseen problems , I would be kind of leary of doing this, and probably would not.

If you are going to rent the aerator, I would charge the 85.00 a day. because your equiptment is better than the rental stuff. I rented from rental shops and the charge was 65.00 a day(for junk). Last year, I went to a lesco and rented their aerators and the charge was 90.00 a day. The equiptment was in better shape and operated like I expected commerecal equiptment should. The better the equiptment, the more the charge.
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Couple of items:

1.) NO ONE rents a LA28, your negihbors cannot get their hands on one for ANY price other than retail new.

- So that increases it's rental value.
    - Plus it's so much easier to use. (unless you're on a hill.)
    - Plus it WORKS so much better, especially on hard soils.

2.) If you totally trust your neighbors, I'd say charge the big dough and do it.

Keep in mind The LA28 is much less tolerant of abuse than the LA5, Bluebird or Lesco type machines.

I rent out my LA5's to other lawn guys (that I know well) and charge $75/day, so a LA28 should be worth at least $100/day.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Around here the rental companies get $125 a day for the big Blue Bird WB model. If I remember right, I think it's aerates a 26" path.
    Not real sure how that compares with yours, but I hope that helps.
  5. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Not me I wouldn't rent mine out. I do all my neighbors lawns under market value. I want to stay on their good sides, and if one of these guys tore up my machine even if it was an accident it could cause some bad blood. Just my opinion. Harvestman
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

thanks guys...the one neighbor is a very close friend...telling him I wont rent it to him when we have shared equipment for 10 years will be really awakward...with the other neighbor I'll take your advice and give him a "good price" for me doing the work...Idont like giving "bargains" though to neighbors and friends...reason being there is alot of work in my area and people talk when they're out for walks and at neighborhood gatherings...and when they start comparing prices, I can get myself into an unpleasant situation if you get my drift...oh well we ***** about too little work and now I can whine about having to be businesslike with my friends...I'll get over
  7. jjfehr

jjfehr LawnSite Member

you say that he is very easy on your equip.! Well that is great for now but what happens when he uses it and you have 5 of those $200 jobs lined up for tomorrow and he breaks it today?You get to go rent the blue bird and do those jobs with it.
  8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Funny, I checked on rental equipment today (since it's raining). My local shop has this for rent: Bobcat 14/48 WB with jungle wheels $60 a day. Bedmaster $30 half day, $50 full day. Cross seeder $30 a day. He has 2 Ryan aerators, one is $40, the other is $50. I thought it was high until I read some of these posts. BTW--What would I get the most use from if I were to purchase any of this excluding the bobcat? I'm guessing the aerator.
  9. TSS

TSS LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Alittle off the subject but when I purchased my Turf Tracer HP with a 48" deck, my neighbor walked helped me unload it from my truck. Needless to say he needed to mow his lawn since he just blew up his engine on his rider. So I gave him the run through of the mower and let him us it. Brand new never cut a single blade of grass until he used it. I was watching him make his first past and admiring my new purchase when he suddenly put my mower into a tree. He was so freaked out that he didn't know what to do. Luckly he only hit the tree with one of the anti scalp wheels. Now no one uses my equipment.:D
  10. RoyaleRcr

RoyaleRcr LawnSite Member

Good neighbors huh? Wait until one of them puts a hole in his foot or runs over the dog, and then files a lawsuit. Better have insurance. Check with your agent on this!